Selfie has been canceled

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Azlen, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1 of 25
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
  2. Nov 7, 2014 #2 of 25
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Is anyone surprised by this?

3. Nov 7, 2014 #3 of 25
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I am, a little, since they thought enough of the show to air back-to-back new episodes on Tuesday. ABC could have filled the Manhattan Love Story time slot with pretty much anything, including a repeat of the Selfie pilot.

4. Nov 7, 2014 #4 of 25
    megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    I enjoyed it, but can't see it going beyond a year. (ed., I mean a season) One trick pony.

5. Nov 7, 2014 #5 of 25
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I'm not. It was pretty mediocre although it was better than I thought it would be.

6. Nov 7, 2014 #6 of 25
    smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    But that's also a classic burn off move.

-smak-

7. Nov 7, 2014 #7 of 25
    efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    Yup, awful. Not to be missed. Again, no character on the show I wanted to spend a half hour with.

8. Nov 7, 2014 #8 of 25
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Huh. So, two of the only three freshman sitcoms I bothered to keep the SP for (Bad Judge, Selfie, and Blackish) are now toast. Selfie was #3 on that list, but it was cute and occasionally amusing.

9. Nov 7, 2014 #9 of 25
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm not surprised at all. When ABC decided to put two episodes on that same night, I knew it meant they didn't have much faith in the show and were just burning it off. The only reason I'm a little surprised is because with the cancellation of Manhattan Love Story, I figured ABC would fill that hole with Fresh Off The Boat and they wouldn't have anything else to fill any other holes, so Selfie would be safe for a while.

I liked the show, but not enough to really care that it's gone. I'm sure I'll keep watching until they finish the 13 episode order.

10. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    i mean, I didn't hate it, and she was hot

11. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    she was way hotter on Doctor Who

12. MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    I liked this show, it wasn't given enough time. Networks are too quick to cancel shows these days. I'm glad they weren't like that in the 80s otherwise my favorite show from my childhood The Facts of Life never would have made it to season 2!

13. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    The pilot stunk but it got pretty good after a couple episodes. Oh well.

14. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    That's why I gave Selfie a chance in the first place. I love Karen Gillan (Amy Pond!!!). She was pretty hot on NTSF:SD:SVU, too, although she didn't have much screen time as the forensic/science geek of the team.

Heck, I gave Manhattan Love Story a chance, too, because it followed Selfie and that half hour would have otherwise left a tuner 'idle'.

With these cancelled, that just leaves Blackish, for me, as the only new sitcom surviving on my SP list. Fitting, IMO, because Blackish is actually pretty good. The Halloween episode had me laughing quite a bit. Seeing it is teamed up, night-wise, with Modern Family and The Goldbergs helps, too.

15. cstelter

cstelter Active Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    I was trying to watch this with my teen aged daughters-- the older was a Doctor Who fan and wanted to watch it because of Karen. Both of them are well aware of the social media craze and I appreciated the underlying theme of how being a self absorbed 'me generation' was something that needed to be fixed in a 'my fair lady' type of way. They even did a pretty good job of sending a consistent message each episode with that regard. They also tried to have her teach him a lesson or two about loosening up which was not all bad either.

But too many of the jokes (for my taste and what I would find enjoyable sharing with my daughters) relied on total inappropriateness of her actions (callous attitude about sexuality, or double entendres, or simply being out of touch with what many would consider 'common decency'). The rest of the humor that went wrong for me was sort of a physical comedy that sadly I don't think she excels at one bit. Two scenes come to mind that were just cringe-worthy-- first where she was trying to participate in a dance class she had lied about having attended before and later where she was trying to prove to Henry that she could guarantee people watch her when she leaves a room. These two forms of humor imo were the downfall of this show (for my tastes anyway).

If you took those types of attempts at humor out of the show what remained was pretty sweet and funny and entertaining to me. Unfortunately there was just too much of the former and too little of the latter so I am not at all sad to see it go.

I imagine my reasons for liking and disliking the series may be a minority. But despite that I honestly could not see how they could sustain the series longer than a season or two anyway. I couldn't see how the story of My Fair Lady / Pygmalion simply does not translate well to a long running TV series.

I kind of enjoyed the callbacks to "My Fair lady", but I doubt many viewers were aware of them. Last episode I noticed him say "I've grown accustomed to her face".

16. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    This was one of those shows that I really wanted to like based on the actors, but the show was mediocre overall. Unfortunately, good actors can't overcome bad scripts or complete lack of a plot. Can't say I'm surprised to see it go. I really would like to see Karen Gillan get another shot on TV.

17. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I hope Karen and David Tennant get more shots at American TV.

18. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The show's creator said that the remaining episodes will be burned off on Hulu.

Okay, so where's the "SmartTiVo" that can record IPTV? Actually, I know somebody who would be dead set against it; WWE owner Vince McMahon - he actually bragged in the WWE Annual Report how the network is "DVR-proof". Yes, pretty much everything that airs on WWE Network is available for later viewing anyway, but if you can DVR it, then you can skip through the ads (and yes, it has commercials).

19. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    some commercials, but not a lot..except for the network itself and that confuses me....I already have it, so why pimp the network on the network. :p

As far as DVR proof. It's all on demand. who cares if you can DVR it? Anything you want to watch is there. I don't think they have pulled any content down so why bother to record it.?

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, the answer is in what you quoted -- the on demand has (presumably unskippable(*)) commercials.. If you DVR it, you can skip commercials.

(*) Even though I have a DVR, I do use On Demand, since _some_ things have skippable commercials.. but it's relatively rare. Though a few shows (Manhattan for one) showed up with NO commercials, and even network shows show up with VERY few commercials after a few days.. but still unskippable ones.