select multiple episodes back to Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ScratchFury, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1 of 14
    ScratchFury

ScratchFury New Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I recently upgraded the external drive on my Series 3. I transferred all the shows off my Tivo to my computer which was easy with Tivo Desktop, although it took days because of the transfer rate thing.

I now have 100 episodes to get back on Tivo from my PC. Is there any way to do this without having to select 1 at a time?

2. Feb 1, 2009 #2 of 14
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I use TiVoDesktop+. There are other programs out there that will do it too.

3. Feb 1, 2009 #3 of 14
    ScratchFury

ScratchFury New Member

Feb 12, 2005
    Are any of these other programs free?

4. Feb 1, 2009 #4 of 14
    muerte33

muerte33 Member

Jul 4, 2008
  5. Feb 1, 2009 #5 of 14
    Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    I don't believe you can 'push' with pyTivo. I believe you'll have to select all 100 episodes to pull from the tivo... (that said, pyTivo is a great program anyways.. but it may not fit your requirements).

edit: hey it looks like pyTivo does have some 'push' code in there: http://pytivo.armooo.net/wiki/Push

6. Feb 1, 2009 #6 of 14
    ScratchFury

ScratchFury New Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I don't think it's possible to push .tivo files. My first transfer looked like what happens when you try to play a .tivo file without the media key. I made a subfolder with pyTivo, but there doesn't seem to be an option on the Tivo to transfer a whole folder.

At this point it would have taken me less time to do it manually. Oh well.

7. cappy

cappy New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Why do you need to push them "back" to your tivo? They should still be on your tivo.
    When I transfer files to my desktop, they are still on my tivo.

Tivo Desktop just makes a copy- it doesn't delete the original.

8. ScratchFury

ScratchFury New Member

Feb 12, 2005
    When you change external hard drives, you lose all your episodes.

I ended up selecting each episode 1 at a time. It took a while, but it works.

9. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Yup. I'm right behind you. InstantCaked a new 1TB drive. Moving all the current TiVo shows to the computer now. Just about 5GB/hr is the transfer I'm seeing, just about real time for HD. I'll take my time moving them back, as we watch in different rooms.

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I reiterate: pyTivo. It's a fabulous program, and it can push files to the TiVo. You select the files to push from a simple web page. A recent plug-in also allows one to serve ripped DVDs to the TiVo. It's great! I had all but completely quit watching my DVD collection, but now that pyTivo supports DVDs, I have ripped all my DVDs to the server, and am now watching them again from time to time.

11. cappy

cappy New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Why not just watch the DVD's, without all the hassle of ripping them and pushing them onto Tivo?

12. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    While in general I'm with you that it doesn't seem worth the effort to rip DVDs just to watch them through my TiVo, haven't you ever tried to hit the instant replay button while watching a DVD? Even the best DVD player does not have anywhere near as friendly a navigation experience that the TiVo gives you.

13. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs

Awesome tip - thanks so VERY much - I don't want to "load" files to my TIVOHD - but now that I've installed pyTIVOx, I can stream DivX and MPG4 files from my MacMini (external drives) to the Tivo and watch my archived shows on a bigscreen with biamped studio Monitors and all the nice gear - without having to burn them to CD or DVD - ahhh - what blessings!

14. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    This can't be overemphasized.

A full decade after TiVo's initial box, the current crop of DVD players plus software players such as VNC, XBMC, Plex, etc., all still suck in navigation compared to the TiVo.