Seeking Recommendations-sub, setup, FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Brez717, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Brez717

Brez717 Christine

Apr 6, 2007
    New York

Advertisements

I am seeking some advice on a few Tivo topics.
    First and foremost, I am weighing what subscription plan I should purchase for my S2 DT unit.

Presently the 2 year subscription is $299, but the 3 year is being offered at the same price. From a purely economical standpoint, I'm inclined to go with the 3 year. However, I turn to the Tivo Community, which is far more in the know about current and future issues than I. Are there any reasons to avoid the 3 year commitment?

I'll provide some info regarding my current setup -
    Time Warner Digital Cable in the New York City area.
    S1 (stock) which I've had for years (and can't image living w/o Tivo now).
    Now adding the S2 DT (which I picked up on Ebay).
    Wireless network through Verizon DSL.

My main reasons for picking up the S2 were the ability to program over the internet (for those "damn I wish I'd set Tivo for that" moments) and the ability to Tivo one station while watching another (I realize I may have blown that, as I'm having some difficulty with the DT part of it all, but I can live with that).

At the moment I'm connecting the S2 via the phone line, but will be switching to a wireless adapter. Judging from my scanning this forum, it seems the Tivo wireless adapter is the smartest way to go. ? ?

FIOS is available in my area - I'm wondering if I were to change to FIOS in the not too distant future how this would affect my Tivo service (if at all)?

I appreciate any insight. I've been scanning this forum for a short time now and have found it quite valuable - I want to thank everyone who contributes.

Christine

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Welcome to the forum, Christine!

Connecting your TiVo to your home network is better because it is faster and enables a bunch of nice features, such as TiVoToGo, Amazon Unbox and many more. Yes, the TiVo wireless adapter is the best choice.

As for FiOS TV, many people use it successfully with TiVo. As I understand it, the second tiuner on the DT will be able to receive some of the lower-numbered channels, but that's really no different from a cable provider. Eventually you may want to consider one the HD TiVo boxes such as the new "TiVo HD" which will accept CableCARDs and work with either provider.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    FIOS fundamentally won't change the TiVo service at all.

The only issue is that the analog channels are only a few locals, not a basic or expanded cable lineup as a traditional provider; FIOS provides all their cable channels in digital.

4. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    I currently have a TiVo Series 1 and a Series 2 (single-tuner). I have already ordered a TiVo HD to replace the series 1. However, I am considering switching to FIOS. Will the Series 2 get any real channels with FIOS? If it's only going to get the basic broadcast channels, that's a real negative...and while I may purchase a second TiVo HD soon enough, how soon I get FIOS might be dictated by whether or not it renders my second TiVo far less functional.

Thoughts?

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

I don't have first-hand experience (wish I did - I have FiOS Internet but TV service is not available here.) Others have said that some low-numbered channels (40 or so) can be tuned in with a regular cable-channel tuner without the box. With the box, you'll get all the channels.