Seeking Advice on Non-Traditional MoCA Network for Bolt & Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jbragg1989, May 27, 2020.

1. jbragg1989

jbragg1989 New Member

May 24, 2020

Advertisements

Just bought a OTA TiVo Bolt. I have a Roamio OTA. Goal is to sell the Roamio and replace it with a TiVo Mini / Tivo Vox Mini so that I can manage all my recordings and playback from 1 DVR. In order to make a Mini work, I need to find a way to direct connect ethernet to each TiVo OR create a MoCA setup.
    One issue I have is that my home internet / network is hubbed around a single wireless access point. This was installed by our internet provided who wired the whole building for fiber optic. I have no ability to connect any ethernet cables to the network. The access point is this one (802.11 ac 5ghz) https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Net...ds=wifi+ac+access+point&qid=1590583373&sr=8-5

Would it be possible to use the Bolt to create the MoCA network and then spoof the ethernet connection back to the access point with an ethernet to WiFi bridge? Both the Bolt and the mini would be connected to the MoCA network via coax. If this were hypothetically possible, would I be losing a lot of performance in the Bolt to Mini data transfers? I'm not sure if the MoCA traffic between the two TiVos can happen directly over the MoCA network or if it needs to be routed through the access point as well. Note that the Bolt will sit 13' or so feet from the WiFi access point in direct line of site.

The only other signal on the coax feeding the two boxes is OTA from the rooftop antenna. I can install the POE filter just before the splitter.

If this is possible, I could use some advice on which WiFi bridge to buy. Doesn't appear to be too common of an item these days. Many WiFi extenders appear to have bridge functionality though.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  2. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    The OTA BOlt has no internal MoCA hardware, so it can't create the MoCA network. You would need an external MoCA adapter.

Best bet might be wired ethernet to both the Bolt and the Mini.

3. jbragg1989

jbragg1989 New Member

May 24, 2020
    Ah, I hadn't realized about the lack of MoCA support in the Bolt OTA. There is so much fragmentation as to which models do and don't have MoCA built in; it gets a little confusing.
    Looks like I'll have to get the internet provider to come out and wire both rooms for ethernet if I want to make this happen. Its funny how quickly a simple goal like networked DVRs can send you down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out the easiest way to accomplish it!

4. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Depending on what the internet provider would charge for the work, you might want to look at power-line adapters to create the network for you (or extend the network for you). Those can normally be found fairly inexpensively and are really easy to install and use.

Something like this: TP Link AV1000 Powerline Ethernet Adapter

5. jbragg1989

jbragg1989 New Member

May 24, 2020

Advertisements

I've used power lines for home networking in the past (with some success). Those would also require a ethernet connection to the router (which I mentioned is not feasible for me).

My internet provider said they could do the work of running the ethernet and installing the wall plates, but they wanted to wait for the COVID 19 to die down a bit before making non-essential home installs. I might have to bug them again to make an exception on that point as it appears this will be the world we will be living in for the foreseeable future.