Security risks for Out-of-Home Streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tivochiguy, Jan 27, 2016.

1. tivochiguy

tivochiguy Member

Feb 16, 2004

Advertisements

I've tried searching Tivo's web site, but can't find anything related to HOW the out of home streaming works. Also talked with support, but they didn't know so I thought I would try my friends here.

Once out of home streaming is enabled, does Tivo maintain some type of persistent connection to allow me to make a request from my iphone outside of my home? I didn't allow any inbound connections on my router so how does it work? What risk is there to my internal network by having out-of-home streaming enabled.

Thanks!

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It uses a TiVo proxy server as a middle-man connection. At some point they're supposed to allow direct connections, removing the proxy, but as of yet there's still be no word on when that's going to happen.

3. tivochiguy

tivochiguy Member

Feb 16, 2004
    So does that Proxy server keep a persistent connection with Tivo so ports on my firewall/router don't have to be open?

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I'm not clear on the details of how it works/what's going on behind the scenes, but you don't have to open any ports. The setup page indicates you need uPNP enabled on your router but I think that's only for once they remove the proxy from the equation (I have uPNP disabled on my router and OOH streaming works fine).