Security Monitors & Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by restart88, Mar 18, 2007.

1. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....

Advertisements

I have been pondering getting some sort of video monitoring system for my home for a while now. Last week someone broke into a neighbor's house while I was home. Heck I probably heard some it too but their darned dogs bark constantly and I've grown tired of running to the window to see what's what all the time.

So after the break in I decided to order a wireless camera & receiver. As I searched for one I noticed there were many that claimed they can be connected to a DVR. So I'm wondering! Can I use a Tivo? Perhaps a deactivated box? I have a 540 that I intended to retire when I move up to an S3 anyway.

Any thoughts?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can't record on a Series 2 TiVo without service.

TiVo isn't really suited for this, though some people make it work. You have to set up a series of manual recordings for segments of, say, 6 hours with settings to delete as space needed. Also, most TiVos do not record from B+W cameras, though those are getting rarer nowadays.

There are DVRs made specifically for this purpose, and they record at a much lower frame rate so that you can get a lot longer time recorded, plus other convenient features. You can also set up a PC to do this - some video input cards come with suitable software.

3. freeze12

freeze12 Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Like Steve said,no..You cannot use a Tivo DVR. I have a home security system with 4 cameras & a 160gig DVR that I purchased from Supercircuits as they are a very good company to deal with. Remember to buy a good camera etc. because if You buy something of low value that is what you get & eventually You will end up buying the better product.Buy a camera with good resolution/Lux

http://www.supercircuits.com/

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The old Philips S1 Tivos w/o subscription work just fine with video cameras - color or not.

5. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....

Advertisements

Guess I forgot that a S2 wouldn't record without a subscription. But I have plenty of old PC parts lying around so maybe I'll go that way instead.

It would have been nice to give the old Tivo a life after but it sounds like it may be too much trouble then to set up anything like that and have only modest use.

Thanks for the ideas!

BTW this is the camera I ordered:
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=159285

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    You need the sub for an S2 so it is true that they are not the way to go from scratch, but if you have a lifetimed unit doing nothing else then you could easily set it to record in 24 one hour increments and just set it to keep until space needed and let the hard drive size determine how far back recordings go.

That would be the easy part as channle 0 on my TiVo will record from the composite input easily.

7. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    Well heck that I could live with. I'd pay $5 a month, which would be a whole lot cheaper than buying a dedicated security DVR. Would have been nice to be free though. lol

Not sure about the 24 hours segment though. Right now I just have the stock drive but my greater concern is if something happens say in the 23rd hour and it gets erased before I know I want the proof, which is kinda the whole point of recording. ;)

I've also wondered about being able to see the live feed when I'm on the road. I suppose I could use a Slinbox for that, right?

Or am I costing myself more money by trying to save money?

----------------------------------------------------

Oh wait! you said "24 one hour increments." Yea, that could work!

8. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The nice thing about real security systems is that they can trigger off of events and only record interesting things. With a TiVo solution you will record 99% inactivity. PC based or dedicated systems use either image processing or thermal triggering to record only when events dictate it.

9. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    and they (real security systems) cost quite a bit. That's why people look for simple cheap alternatives.

10. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    :D

That would be me.

11. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    Check your local Fry's
    for the Samsung SHR-1040. A dedicated purpose DVR that has the time/date stamp and other features you will need if you have to go to court someday.

Disadvantage is that you must stop recording to review content. Price is comparable to a 160hour Series1 box on auction site, in the $200.00US range. It can also use consumer type composite or pro type RJ12 cameras. You can even mix/match pro/consumer camera types.

With four cameras running the matrix can be viewed and when there is something of interest, individual strams can be viewed or reviewed at full screen. Final advantage it can output VGA or composite for maximum flexibility...

12. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    How about an unused PC with one of the following two solutions...

A wired or wireless web cam and Blue Iris software for $19 (http://www.blueirissoftware.com/). The Blue-Iris reads the webcam and only records when the image changes. It also can include th minute or so prior to the trigger. I've used this before with great results when neighborhood kids were ding-dong-ditching everyone in the hood.

How about Motorola's HomeSight (http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/home_monitoring.asp ) which has sensors such as water sensors for when the sump pump overflows, IR cameras for night vision and motion sensors. This system can text or e-mail you with a notification and video clip when triggered.

These are relatively inexpensive solutions for home use but rely on the PC. If you have to include the price of the PC, the price will naturally be higher.

13. Reidsch

Reidsch New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    I'm using a product from lukwerks called wilife. it records onto a hard drive on your computer. it works great. PM me with questions as i've become an expert on this product.

14. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    That may be the way I go once I get my additional cameras, though a PC option seems promising too.

I'd also really like to be able to stream video of home when I'm out of town. Living in FL I worry every time I hear reports of wind back home. ;)

One down side of any wake on motion option though is my front yard remains fairly busy over 15 hours a day, and even then a car comes by every minute or so. So what if I like having a camera on the mail box, which is by the street? Saves me from running to the window constantly. lol

The wireless receiver accomodates "up to 4 cameras" but it looks like I may have to mix with wired cameras to get up to even 4 due to local interference.

Sadly, the receiver will either scan 1 or 4 frequencies whether you have other cameras or not so that creates a smal but resolvable problem.

15. Reidsch

Reidsch New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    just an fyi to your problems listed.

Motion detecting. The Lukwerks software has "zones" that you can pick in the field of view to detect motion.

I think the max is 6 cameras

The remote viewing piece is free, no subscription needed. I did a lot of research on these systems prior to buying one. I ran across an article in the WSJ about Lukwerks. I really like it so far.

16. dd9

dd9 Member

Aug 10, 2000
    Boston, MA, USA
    Been using an unsubbed S1 Tivo for quite a few years to do this. 12 hour recordings allow for the green bar to show the actual time of day an incident took place (except for the hour of 12). A 120g disk allows for 3 days at high quality and 6 days basic. My total investment is under $200 for a decent 480 line IR camera. Tivo was free and the disk was laying around unused.

17. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    Just an an update it looks like a Tivo solution would not be ideal so I am working towards either a PC card or SA box. I could live with 4 channels (more would be nice) and at least 1 audio channel. I really want to be able to stream the feed over the internet even if I have to get a slingbox to do it. More on that later. ;)

I picked up a cheap 13" Durabrand TV from Wal*Mart for $50 which I am using on one wired camera and have a 2nd camera going to an aux port on my HDTV set. I've given up on Swann wireless because of issues with interference but their Maxi Day/ Night camera rocks! :D

But I did pick up this funny little story which I just had to share which I came across in reviews for another wireless system. He had gotten a wireless 4 camera system from the friend.

i got this from a friend and i set them up around my house i connected them to my sling box and when i was at school i just so happend to look at my phone to check up on my house...turns out the same friend who gave this to me was in my house and stole my ps3... i called him and asked him to leave my ps3 at my house and put all my stuff back ware he found it...and i wouldnt tell the police about it..so he did and i havnt talked to him sence

18. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    FWIW,, I have seen 4 input capture cards, made for security.

19. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    Just as an update, just to get started I bought the Avermedia NV3000 (already wishing I'd got the NV5000 due to the 30 FPS - like 7.5 per channel.

Keeping in mind that I'm an absolute novice and that their "manual" consists of like 3 pages I'm coming along pretty well. I like that it has remote viewing but I'm not sure yet if it's working. Works fine within my network but I tried a dialup connection on my laptop and when I type in my believed IP addy (not 100% certain I have it right but I get the same numbers from 3 different IP lookup sites) it says page not found.

Just curious. It has a POS option via a serial port on your motherboard. Any way I can connect Tivo somehow as the POS and have a Tivo stream available remotely, kinda like a lower quality Slingbox I suppose?

It also has some other slick features like having a camera at a remote location and 2 way audio communication to a remote location which, if I ever get it setup, I could essentually have a free unlimited long distance 2 way video phone to mom. lol

Not a bad idea because mom is getting up in years and we worry when her cat knocks the phone off the hook and the line stays busy for long periods.

Out of coincidence my local news did a segment of the growing popularity of these camera systems. But from what was reported the only difference between the homeowner's system that they used in the segment and mine besides a few more cameras is $30k and a hand held remote control. :)

20. shpope

shpope New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    You have to setup your router to forward the correct port to the NV3000. If all you type on your local network is http://192.168.1.45 (or something like that) then the port is port 80. If you type http://192.168.1.45:2328 (or something like that) then the port is 2328. You'll have to look at your router manual to determine how to forward the ports.

Hope this helped.