Security camera system

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DAGAN53, Feb 8, 2012.

1. DAGAN53

DAGAN53 New Member

Feb 8, 2012
    I am thinking of purchasing a TiVo Series 2 DT Digital Video Recorder just for the purpose of recording from my security camera system. Is this possible, and how would I go about it?

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    There was a post about this a while back. I think they said that they had to feed the camera signal into the Tivo and then manually start the recording. Do you have any type of system for recording their signal now? My 6 cams are connected to a card in my security PC that records each of the cameras signals onto its hard drive. I think I paid $70 for the card and it can record up to 8 cams each 30 fps. Also has a lot of other features.

3. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
  4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you keep an eye on Craigslist you can probably pick one up for about $20 or maybe even free.

Unless you buy one with a lifetime subscription. That'll add at least $100 to the price, probably more.

They aren't really designed to record without some sort of subscription.

You might be able to get away with getting one that was disconnected before it's monthly subscription ran out, so that it hasn't contacted the TiVo servers and doesn't know that it's no longer subscribed, but you'd have to put up with nag screens telling you that the guide data has run out.

And then there's the problem of getting the camera signal into the TiVo.

If it's not already set up to use some sort of cable box or something that connects to the line inputs, you'd have to feed an analog signal into the tuner's RF input, because you could never go through Guided Setup to change anything because that involves contacting the TiVo servers which would promptly tell it that it didn't have a subscription anymore.

5. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    With a TiVo you can get only one camera/channel and you'll have to hack for hours.

Better you buy one of the dedicated security DVRs for a few hundred bux.
    http://store.bluecherry.net/blueche...-compression-card-and-version-2-software.html

There are a buncha security DVRs that are $200 less hard drive but at least the Bluecherry isn't "works with any web browser as long as it's the obsolete version of Internet Explorer"