Security Breach? SEI Robotics TV SEI400TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by ilovedvrs, Jun 28, 2020.

1. ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Security Breach? SEI Robotics TV SEI400TV

It seems someone might have gotten into my network via my new TiVo Stream 4K device.
    Even google flags the device as a RISK.
    Android TV Guide - SEI Robotics

Headquarters - Shenzhen, China

Could this be a back door attack like Chinese's company Huawei company does on android phones?

Someone deleted my Google Home group from the android TV. I'm remove access, factory resetting the device and getting rid of it. Something bad is going on with it's security. Took hours to setup my network after it was compromised.

upload_2020-6-28_19-2-53.png

2. usamac

usamac Member

Jun 4, 2020
    USA
    Anything and everything is susceptible to hacking thats connected to the internet, as I'm sure that goes without saying.

That being said, considering this being the first I've seen anyone make this case and the lack of attention this post as gotten, it does appear to have been an isolated incident and not so much of a conspiracy, as most believe Xiaomi to be.

A wise dev I know often makes the case to always disable adb after any and every use. If it's left on, you are vulnerable. Hackers can use the same access to that device and your network as you did to modify it. On the TS4K, its currently labeled USB Debugging in developers options.

Finally, have you considered your browsing habits to have been any contribution to such an attack?

S10 - Tapatalk

3. runbadgerrun

runbadgerrun New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Idaho
    It is a bit questionable why a device from a major company like Tivo is accessing your Google account as an unverified developer (which is not even Tivo). They really need to get that fixed. It does not look good in this day and age of security. I would like to see Tivo spend a bit more development time making this device their own rather than just sticking an app on top of an off the shelf board.

4. Alex_7

Alex_7 Member

Jun 24, 2020
    I turned my usb debugging to 'on' when I was tweaking my device, should I turn it back off? and will it mess with my wolf launcher app?

5. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Wait till they get to your saved passwords in Chrome (which is really Google -the Chinese in disguise).

6. usamac

usamac Member

Jun 4, 2020
    USA
    Yea, don't leave debugging on.. and no, won't effect anything.. will need to enable to do more in the future though

S10 - Tapatalk

7. Alex_7

Alex_7 Member

Jun 24, 2020
    Will turn it off, thanks

8. Jul 1, 2020 #8 of 63
    rczrider

rczrider Member

May 15, 2020
    I forget that some people still save their passwords in the browser instead of using something like Bitwarden.

Rodney, cybergrimes and usamac like this.
  9. TGrud

TGrud New Member

Thursday
    The same thing is happening to me. The error message says i need to do a factory reset but the screen is frozen and I cant access any response. Im more than a little upset with this!

10. TGrud

TGrud New Member

Thursday
    I have the same issue but with a lockedup screen wont let me access the app to do a factory reset as the screen says. The comment about browsing habits is a little specious and avoids the question about why this has happend only on the Tivo and not on any of my other streaming devices. Lets work on the problem and not the excuses.

11. TGrud

TGrud New Member

Thursday
    Also not an ISOLATED INCIDENT!

12. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    I had the same thing in my security checked up! Ive never had debugging on. Havent really installed much on my stream 4k, just some of the major streaming services. I removed its access but have not done a factory reset I was thinking, I never gave it my google account and password but remember this is a android TV.... so I did! UGH

This tivo stream4k also makes me nervous because it was always uploading a decent amount. My home internet upload is pretty low during the workweek- like 2-3 Mbps and it got to a point that I had to power off my tivo stream4k. I ended up bringing to my office and using it on that tv where we have much faster internet.
    I really think theres something shady with the tivo stream 4k security....

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020 at 10:19 AM
  13. usamac

usamac Member

Jun 4, 2020
    USA
    I think you are confused, as so many in this thread are. There has been 1 update, aside from the initial update right after initial release/shipped. That update, was more of a hot fix to correct a few bugs.

S10 - Tapatalk

14. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Huh? I am not talking about any update. I am talking about UpLOAD. The tivo stream 4k, at least when I got it was constantly uploading (and obviously downloading while using). I get that it has to do some uploading but it was constantly uploading 2Mbps or so while it was on. Ive never had a streaming device upload so much data while using it, it was doing this for at least a few days when I first kept it plugged in.

15. usamac

usamac Member

Jun 4, 2020
    USA
    My bad, sorry I was arguing with the wife and didn't read it thoroughly before I replied lol

Anyhow, yea there was someone early on that talked about how their device was doing some extreme uploading.. they apparently were to be fixing whatever bug that was but I'm unsure at this point honestly.. haven't seen much about it since then either

S10 - Tapatalk

16. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    ha its all good, I get it :) Ill have to do more investigation now that my stream 4k is on my office network. Hopefully they fixed it... I just still dont really trust this thing for some reason. I feel like tivo has gotten kind of sloppy in the past years especially. Wouldn't surprise me if theres some major security issues on this device

Edit just checked... In the last 30 days my tivo stream 4k:
    15.22 GB (↓13.09 GB, ↑2.13 GB)
    Has uploaded over 2gb of data , ive probably only watched a couple hours of streaming services on here. Used mostly sling , a tiny bit of netflix and hbo max... Seems like 2gb of upload is necessary. Last week alone was about 500MB of uploading and 2.4GB download.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020 at 11:24 AM
  17. usamac

usamac Member

Jun 4, 2020
    USA
    Here's my TS4K.. granted, I've disabled and uninstalled just about everything it came with, to use the apps I want to use.. maybe there is something inherently loaded onto it that's constantly communicating.. if you don't need or want it, you should consider debloating some[​IMG]

S10 - Tapatalk

18. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ok so my (Google) best theromstat and smoke detectors has been completely removed from my google account. I just used it a few days ago , I’ve had it for many years. Some REALLY weird is going on. I now have to re set up my Nest thermostat.
    I think I may have to somehow return this Stream 4K if it’s hacking our accounts .... I’ll be checking out all my google smart home stuff soon
    Edit
    Also checked my google home and ALL groups were removed as well. I changed my google password and removed tivo stream access. How the hell did this get full account access without my allowing it ? This is a huge mess and I’m extremely worried now. With all the stuff I saved on google , I basically could have my identity stolen. I’m going to be making sure I get ahold of some at tivo headquarters ASAP. I feel like this could be a lawsuit waiting to happen...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020 at 7:17 PM
  19. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Y’all do realize the SEI robotics is the manufacturer of this device right? The SEI400TV is the code name of the Stream 4k: I think you all are getting worked up about nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenthplanet and usamac like this.
  20. usamac

usamac Member

Jun 4, 2020
    USA
    This has been my point from the beginning, of which I clearly failed to make so clear and eloquently put as you. Well said!

S10 - Tapatalk