Security Breach? SEI Robotics TV SEI400TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by ilovedvrs, Jun 28, 2020.

1. ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Security Breach? SEI Robotics TV SEI400TV

It seems someone might have gotten into my network via my new TiVo Stream 4K device.
    Even google flags the device as a RISK.
    Android TV Guide - SEI Robotics

Headquarters - Shenzhen, China

Could this be a back door attack like Chinese's company Huawei company does on android phones?

Someone deleted my Google Home group from the android TV. I'm remove access, factory resetting the device and getting rid of it. Something bad is going on with it's security. Took hours to setup my network after it was compromised.

upload_2020-6-28_19-2-53.png

2. usamac

usamac Member

Jun 4, 2020
    USA
    Anything and everything is susceptible to hacking thats connected to the internet, as I'm sure that goes without saying.

That being said, considering this being the first I've seen anyone make this case and the lack of attention this post as gotten, it does appear to have been an isolated incident and not so much of a conspiracy, as most believe Xiaomi to be.

A wise dev I know often makes the case to always disable adb after any and every use. If it's left on, you are vulnerable. Hackers can use the same access to that device and your network as you did to modify it. On the TS4K, its currently labeled USB Debugging in developers options.

Finally, have you considered your browsing habits to have been any contribution to such an attack?

S10 - Tapatalk

3. runbadgerrun

runbadgerrun New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Idaho
    It is a bit questionable why a device from a major company like Tivo is accessing your Google account as an unverified developer (which is not even Tivo). They really need to get that fixed. It does not look good in this day and age of security. I would like to see Tivo spend a bit more development time making this device their own rather than just sticking an app on top of an off the shelf board.

4. Alex_7

Alex_7 Member

Jun 24, 2020
    I turned my usb debugging to 'on' when I was tweaking my device, should I turn it back off? and will it mess with my wolf launcher app?

5. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Wait till they get to your saved passwords in Chrome (which is really Google -the Chinese in disguise).

6. usamac

usamac Member

Jun 4, 2020
    USA
    Yea, don't leave debugging on.. and no, won't effect anything.. will need to enable to do more in the future though

S10 - Tapatalk

7. Alex_7

Alex_7 Member

Jun 24, 2020
    Will turn it off, thanks

8. rczrider

rczrider Member

May 15, 2020
    I forget that some people still save their passwords in the browser instead of using something like Bitwarden.

usamac likes this.