Season Premiere of FNL available now

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, Sep 20, 2007.

1. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
  2. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    For those of us who don't feel like dealing with Yahoo, would the YouTube download extension in Firefox work for this as well, since they're both Flash-based?

3. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    OK...it actually took me a minute. To those even less gifted than I, it's referring to "Friday Night Lights." ;)

4. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    2 minutes into this and I'm grinning ear to ear. I missed this show.

5. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001

Advertisements

Thanks for that, whip! I'm halfway thru and it's SO good :)

6. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Yeah, I wish I could have waited and enjoyed it in HD... But I COULDN'T dammit! I sat and watched it on my computer, and still thought it was good. :eek:

7. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    I'm so glad this is back!

8. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Well fans of the show know what FNL is.

I watched but will still watch it again in HD. It's not like I have not watched season 1 like 3 times.

9. Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    This show is sooooooooooooooooo good. I tried watching the movie after season one, the movie pales in comparison by so much, it's not even believable.

10. DVDerek

DVDerek <WittySaying />

Sep 30, 2002
    Boston, MA
    The Sports Guy (Bill Simmons) wrote about Friday Night Lights in ESPN The Magazine this week and the story also ran on ESPN.com

I never bothered watching the show because I figured it wasn't long for this world. After his review I decided to watch a few episodes on the web. So far I'm enjoying it, even if it's completely formulaic at this point. The only un-cliche character right now is the coach, and that's enough to keep me coming back.

Hopefully the show survives a second season.

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    You'll find that as you continue, the show is anything but formulaic. It becomes an excellent drama with very complex characters and amazing performances, and there just happens to be a little football thrown in. Personally, I think the football is the weakest part of the show. Not every football game can come down to a last minute play, but they feel they have to do this to make the show exciting. Therefore, the episodes that don't include any games are much better, IMO.

12. DVDerek

DVDerek <WittySaying />

Sep 30, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Okay - caught up through season 1 now. I'm doing my best not to click the link in the OP because I need to try and watch it with my wife (who can't believe she's hooked on a "football" show).

I don't know how you all managed to go all summer... Fantastic ending to season 1... (and they were best off leaving that deleted scene deleted, for those that have the DVDs).

13. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    damnit!

best show on tv i canw atch by clicking a link but i want to hold off to watch it in HD......

damn this thing they call the internet!

14. Neenahboy

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Watched this a few days ago. Excellent for the most part.

I really hope Landry talks to the police soon. I'd hate for this to become a huge thing later in the season; they need to hurry up and redeem him soon.

15. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I'm looking forward to the new season as well, though I haven't watched the sneaked preview yet. I'll just wait.

Very good review of the show in this week's "New Yorker" http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2007/10/08/071008crte_television_franklin
    but the ending of the article is disturbing. ...but there’s a twist in the episode that is absurdly melodramatic and unbelievable, and will have enormous consequences. The plot thread could easily overwhelm the show and kill it.

Since none of you have mentioned anything about it, perhaps the writer is mistaken? I hope so.

16. Neenahboy

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I mentioned it in my spoiler tag. FWIW, I absolutely agree with the reviewer's statement.

17. Mabes

Mabes Ex-Smoker

Jan 12, 2001
    Warwick RI

Is this a twist that looks like it is designed to get ratings? When is the real premiere?

18. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001
    The real premiere is this Friday night, Oct 5.

19. DVDerek

DVDerek <WittySaying />

Sep 30, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Great... sounds like FNL meets the OC... :(

20. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I haven't seen the premiere episode yet, because I prefer to watch it on my TV. But I know about this plot point b/c it's been written about extensively.

Imho, I don't think the writer is mistaken -- I've seen a lot of reviews of the first episode and there is a lot of handwringing over this particular "shocking" plot point. Many people are afraid it may be taking the show in the wrong (overwrought, melodramatic) direction. Imho, FNL has had a lot of "melodramatic" plot points and has handled them well, so I'm not as concerned as most and I'm willing to take a "wait and see" approach.