Season Pass

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MrSkippy53, Mar 31, 2011.

1. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011

Advertisements

If I setup a season pass for say Gold Rush during season 1 (season 1 over now) would my TiVo (s3 and s4 if it matters) automatically start recording Gold Rush season 2 once it comes out. Or do I need to remember to setup a new season pass for each new season?

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    It will be carried over.

3. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    There can be some issues if the title has a variation.

4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Like they do with Survivor for some stupid reason. Grrrrr.....

5. Krandor

Krandor Active Member

Jun 9, 2004

Advertisements

Most should carry over unless they change the name of the program in the guide. Survivor and Amazing race do this quite often. It is easy to see though because your season pass will be something like "Survivor:redemption island" so you are only recording redemption island and not whatever the next one is. So unless you see a season number of subtitle in the title you should be fine.

6. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Technically the TiVo doesn't use the title for tracking a season pass, it uses a hidden guide data field with a numeric show id.

However since shows like Survivor seem to change that id every time they change their name effectively season passes have issues with show that change names every season.

(Wishlists on the other hand do use the title because they're comparing the words you typed in with the words in the guide data)

Fortunatly shows that do that kind of thing are extremely rare so almost any season pass you set will continue working into future seasons.

7. Krandor

Krandor Active Member

Jun 9, 2004
    true, but all the shows I have run accross that do this (though very rare) also change the title when they change the ID. I have not seen one that changes the ID but keeps the title the same.

8. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I seem to recall seeing it once; IIRC it was back when TNN renamed themselves Spike TV and they were doing something weird that kept breaking season passes. (A quick search didn't turn up the threads about it).

Ideally of course Survivor would change their name but not their ID each season. They get the location / event branding but people's season passes keep working

9. aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I've seen season passes break when a channel changes its id. For example, when Comcast in the Bay Area switched from the TNT HD East feed to the TNT HD Pacific feed, my season passes for TNT shows failed.