Season Pass Will Only Record SD Channel

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bkurt01, Apr 10, 2013.

1. bkurt01

bkurt01 New Member

Sep 18, 2007

Advertisements

I'm using a Comcast cablecard in Atlanta, get all the pay channels in SD and HD. Problem is that when I try to set a Season Pass for a show by selecting the HD showing, it will only set up for the SD channel, without an option for choosing other channels. I don't know if this is related, but the show is on HBO-HD, which Comcast shows on two channels (701 and 880). The SP will only record for 301 (SD). I wonder if perhaps the Tivo is confused as to what to do since there are two channels that are exactly the same? Help!

2. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Ive never seen that behavior, but one easy fix is to remove all of the SD channels that you also get in HD from your channel listing. Thats one of the 1st things I did, so maybe thats why I haven't seen that happen, though...

You can do this either in the menus with the old SD channel listing, or with the last big update, from the HD guide.

If you have reasons to keep the SD copies... you can't adjust the options when either setting up the pass or go back in and change the 'channel' from the SD to the HD one?

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I have never had this issue either. Another option would be to move to a wishlist. Though, I would prefer to eliminate the sd channels.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Are you sure in the HD UI, it doesn't let you left-right in the channel choice to choose the HD channel when you are *FIRST* creating the SP? (IIRC, you CANNOT edit this later.)

I have definitely seen this UI shown.

5. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town

Advertisements

Once you have a season pass made you can go into that same season pass and do these to make another

More option>>View upcoming>> pick anyone even the HD SP>> get another SP, in there if that show is on 5 more channels you can pick any of them.

The fastest is to do this. Explore this show>>right click>>right click>>get another SP

Edit: You might have to be in HDUI

6. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    You can

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sometimes I feel I know nothing about how the TiVo works. I get The Tonight Show in HD on one channel and SD on two channels including the same call letters for one of the SD channels. Both SD channels are not in My Channels or Favorites. If I search for the show, only the HD version is found. I have never had your problem but it has been reported before. The SP pass only shows the HD version. It's a very strange problem. I hope you post the fix if you ever find one.

8. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    What might trip this up is if the cable company used exactly the same channel name for the HD and SD version. IOW if they were both "HBO", not "HBO" and "HBO-HD". IIRC TiVo uses channel names, not numbers, for internal bookkeeping. Two channels with the same name are considered identical and recordings will default to (IIRC) the lower numbered one - regardless of which the SP was created from.

I believe that bit of logic is left over from the S2DT units where that was an attempted prefer recording from the antenna, instead of the cable box - because despite two tuners only one could use a connected cable box.

If that's what's happening I also suggest removing the SD channels from your TiVo's channel line-up. That should prevent it from paying attention to them.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You can what? Note, I was talking about editing an EXISTING SP, not making a new one.

Has that changed? I made this kind of comment (can't change it later) in an earlier thread, and at least one other person agreed with me about the UI at the time.. I don't think there's been an update since then.