Season Pass vs. Wishlist

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jtreid, Aug 17, 2007.

1. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    I noticed the other night on my S3 that I cannot prioritize my season pass list using those programs I have specifically asked to record and those that I have wishlists for. I had a wishlist program that "seemed" to be overriding a season pass (The quotes are used because it seemed later that tivo had already recorded the program that the wishlist was overriding.).

Regardless, how dose one set the priorities of season passes vs. wishlists on a S3?

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I plan to purchase an S3 next year so bear with me that Im not answering your question from experience but -
    Are you saying that in the Season Pass Manager your wishlists do not show up as a blue ball with a star in the middle while seasons passes show up as a yellow ball with two checkmarks?
    Example -
    [​IMG]

3. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    it doesn't matter if the item is a seasons pass or a wish list, the priority is set by the order of the items in the seasons pass manager list, the lower the number of the item the higher the priority.
    --
    Alan :D

4. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    That is correct. My wife had Elvis Presley in as a wishlist and tivo was going to record Jail House Rock at 8:00 PM. However, Jail House Rock did not show up in the season pass manager in any place. I was trying to get a Top Chef that I didn't think I had seen and it caused a conflict with the other tuner; not the one Jail House Rock was coming on. Tivo would not do away with Jail House Rock instead of my other program that was a higher priority than Top Chef. I could not figure out how to keep the program on the other tuner and get the Top Chef episode without going through the wishlist for Elvis and canceling the recording of Jail House Rock. It was a bit frustrating.

5. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Of course not, since the wishlist was for Elvis. The wishlist for Elvis would have been there, but not individual programs that the wishlist hit. That's not what the SPM is for.

In this situation, Top Chef's priority makes no difference whatsoever. You are scheduling a one-time recording which takes priority over ALL season pass and wishlist recordings. The ranking that makes a difference is the ranking of the Elvis wishlist and that of the other recording. When making a request that conflicts with both tuners, tivo will unschedule the program with the lower priority. So the program you didn't name has a lower priority than Elvis, and that's what makes the difference.

Use the To Do List for this kind of thing.

6. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Or was the wishlist for elvis not auto-recording? Did your wife schedule Jailhouse Rock manually? If so, again, one-time recordings are higher in priority than anything else and tivo would have prompted you to unschedule the lower priority season pass recording, whatever it was.

7. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    You're confusing the SPL with ToDo list. Think of Jailhouse Rock as an episode of the series "Elvis" under the SPL. In order to see this upcoming "episode" you would have right go to the right on your Elvis wishlist and select upcoming episodes. ZikZak is right that one time recordings are basically priority 0 (as in top) over the SPL

8. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    I appreciate all of your input. My simple question seems to be being made more difficult than it is. :( There was no other form of recording going on other than that triggered by season passes and wishlists. I will reiterrate what I saw and did.
    1. Jail House Rock was the result of the the Elvis wishlist. It was not entered manually. I verified this from the WL itself. The upcoming episodes showed this program to be recorded at 8:00.
    2. Top Chef was listed at #6 in the SPM list
    3. The other program, Eureka I think, was at #4 in the SPM list.
    4. Elvis was not listed anywhere in any fashion I saw in the SPM list. If it had been I would have moved it down and not been having this conversation.
    5. I went to see upcoming episodes of Top Chef from the SPM list and told tivo to go ahead and record this episode of Top Chef. When I did so, it did not do away with Jail House Rock. It instead wanted to get rid of the othe program which I did not want to do. I wanted it to get rid of Jail House Rock.
    6. I did achieve what I wanted by canceling the recording of Jail House Rock via the ToDo list and then went back and told tivo to record the episode of Top Chef.

So, again, my question is, if I don't see the Elvis wishlist or the result of the Elvis wishlist in the SPM list, how do I set the priorities of whishlist vs. season passes?

9. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Wishlists only auto-record when you set them to do so. And when they are set to auto-record, they always appear in the Season Pass Manager with a blue star next to them. Therefore, the Elvis wishlist was not an auto-recording wishlist. Your going into the wishlist and seeing it scheduled was NOT a verification that the wishlist requested it--- only a verification that it was requested. In fact, I will surmise that Jailhouse Rock had a single check-mark next to it, indicating that your wife scheduled it, not the wishlist. If the wishlist had scheduled it, it would have been marked with a blue star and Elvis would have appeared in the SPM with a blue star.

Wishlists do NOT auto-record unless you set them to do so. Your wife scheduled Jailhouse Rock manually.

Further, you were attempting to manually schedule an episode of Top Chef. Since you were manually scheduling a program, the fact that you have a season pass for it makes no difference in priority: manually scheduled programs are always top priority.

So this is what happened: At 8:00 your tivo was scheduled to record (1) Jailhouse Rock, as a manual one-time recording, and (2) Eureka, as #4 in the SPM. When you manually requested Top Chef, it informed you that Eureka (as the lower priority of the two conflicts) would be canceled. The SPM position of Top Chef had no bearing, as this was a one-time recording. This is completely normal behavior.

Two notes: First, Eureka has repeats in the evening and throughout the week (I believe). It would have been rescheduled if you had gone ahead with scheduling Top Chef. Second, if that was unacceptable, the thing to do would be to cancel Jailhouse Rock manually and then go ahead and schedule Top Chef just as you did. The To Do List is probably the easiest way to get there, but looking at the wishlist or search-by-title would have worked too.

Finally, to adjust the relative priorities of Season Passes and AUTO-RECORDING wishlists, use the SPM. The SPM does not adjust priorities of one-time recordings, which always trump auto-recordings of any kind.

10. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    In the ToDo List did Jailhouse Rock have a yellow circle with a white checkmark OR a blue circle with a white star next to it?

The blue circle w/ white star is used to show that the program was scheduled by an auto-recording wishlist.

The yellow circle w/ white checkmark is used to show that the program was scheduled manually.

(And a pair of yellow circles w/ white checkmarks is used to show that the program was scheduled by a season pass)

Based on your description it really sounds like Jailhouse rock was scheduled manually.

11. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Wow! You guys know your stuff. :) If I recall it did not have a star, but a checkmark in the ToDo list. Therefore, Mr. Holmes, I think you've cracked the case. I was wondering why some things had two checkmarks and some others, including Jail House Rock, had a single. Thanks for your expert information :up: and showing me my lack of knowledge on this subject :eek:

12. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    More happy tivoing in the future!