Season Pass Retry at Another Time

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by crunchly, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Jun 8, 2006 #1 of 11
    crunchly

crunchly New Member

Jun 8, 2006

Advertisements

I have a Season Pass for a show that airs at multiple times. Typically, none of these times conflict with any other shows, so the Season Pass picks the one that airs first. Unfortunately, this is at a time when my wife watches live TV and she often chooses not to switch channels. This cancels that show and the Season Pass does not automatically record another airing of that episode. Is there a way to have another airing automatically recorded when this is cancelled, other than manually changing the time for each episode? Or am I missing something and this should be working?

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Jun 8, 2006 #2 of 11
    aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I'm not sure if there is any easy way to resolve this other than teaching your wife to timeshift and not watch Live TV :)

You could set up a manual recording for the show in question at the later time and cancel the SP. Or you can figure out what your wife likes to watch "live" and get SPs for them, so the Tivo automatically resolves the conflict by recording the later episode. If she's a channel surfer, I'm afraid a manual recording might be your only option ... unless someone else has a better idea.

3. Jun 8, 2006 #3 of 11
    aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Oh, there is one other solution.

If you have basic analog cable, and you use RCA cables to hook up your Tivo, you can split the cable and hook it up directly to the TV and the Tivo in parallel. Then if she wants to watch live tv, she can just watch without even using the Tivo.

If you have digital cable, you can usually get your analog channels by splitting the cable and hooking up your TV directly too.

If you use RF in and RF out on the Tivo, you can put the Tivo in "Standby" mode and she can watch TV directly on your television without interrupting your Tivo recordings.

If you give us details on how exactly you have your Tivo hooked up and what source you use (analog cable vs. digital cable vs. satellite), we could probably give you an idea of how to hook up your Tivo in a way where she can watch live TV directly, bypassing your Tivo entirely (and not interfering with your recordings).

4. Jun 9, 2006 #4 of 11
    mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    There are many other solutions. Here's another.

Set up a 5 minute repeating manual recording that starts at the same time as this early airing of the SP in question and give it a higher priority than the SP. Your wife can freely choose to not change the channel to record it and continue watching what she wants and your SP will be recorded later.

5. Jun 9, 2006 #5 of 11
    crunchly

crunchly New Member

Jun 8, 2006

Advertisements

Thanks to you both. I am going to give this last idea a try, as it sounds like the most straight forward solution.

Thanks again,
    Aaron

6. Jun 9, 2006 #6 of 11
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    If the first one wasn't recorded I thought TiVo went on to record the next showing providing it is repeated within five days or something.

7. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    It does. Unless you manually cancel the recording.
    But if you tell the TiVo not to change the channel that counts as manually canceling the recording.

I think the logic is that if you tell the TiVo not to record something, it assumes you don't want that episode, rather that, you don't want that time slot. If it assumed you just wanted another time slot you might have to cancel an episode 5 or 6 times before it ran out of time slots and stopped rescheduling it into your todo list.

8. Maverick214

Maverick214 New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Try these:

Option 1: set up a second season pass for a later time, with 'no repeats' selected. Then if the first one is cancelled, it will record the second.

Option 2: get a new wife.

Note: Generally, option 1 is less of a hassle. :)

9. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

Option 1 = Not possible

10. BJ411

BJ411 New Member

Jun 5, 2006

2 seperate fixes very different from each other

1) setup your tivo to allow you to watch reg tv even when it's recording, depending on your dvr unit, this can be done with a splitter or simply within the settings.. on one of mine i can simply put the dvr in stand by, it will continue to record and i can watch reg tv.. another is to simply setup the tivo with more than one connection.. i have tivo on my video 1 connection.. to watch reg tv i click the tv button over to catv (cable television) and able to watch reg tv while tivo is taping

2) other option is within you season pass for what you asked.. once you make the season pass, notice it says "options" ..this is where u can add 5 mintues longer etc.. well u can change what it records to "first run only" "first run and repeats" or you can choose "all (with duplicates"..

.. maybe if you change this setting to at least "first run and repeats" it will grab that 2nd airing and record it..

11. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    1) see post #3

2) That's not how TiVo works - see posts #6 & #7