Season Pass recording re-runs and other channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dcardani, Dec 31, 2010.

1. dcardani

dcardani New Member

Dec 26, 2010

Advertisements

It's been a while since I've owned a TiVo, and I just got a TiVo Premiere. I have set up a season pass to record only new episodes of House on Fox. But for some reason, it's recording re-runs on USA, in addition to new episodes on Fox. I understand that sometimes the guide data doesn't contain whether it's a re-run or not, but this is recording on a different channel. Is there a setting I missed somewhere to tell it to only record on one specific channel?

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Do you have Suggestions turned on?

3. dcardani

dcardani New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Yes. I don't understand why that would record re-runs on a different channel and put them in my queue as something I requested to be recorded, though. Is that really how it works? On my old TiVo I turned suggestions off because it mostly wanted to advertise stuff to me. I was hoping it had changed, but if this is what it does, I'm not interested. I don't need to see 100 episodes of a show I already watched over the last 5 years.

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Suggestions records shows based off what it thinks you will like. If you have an SP for House, it thinks you like that show so will record some (not all) other episodes that air across the channel lineup.

You said they are showing up in your queue, do you mean the To Do List? What icon is next to the scheduled recordings (check, double check)? In My Shows, do the repeats have the Tivo icon next to them?

What do you mean it wanted to advertise stuff to you? Suggestions record TV shows similar to ones you have recorded or given :up: to.

5. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN

Advertisements

Season Passes are channel-specific. It's NOT the SP that's causing your reruns to be recorded.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes. If you have episodes of House in your suggestions folder, they will also show up in the House folder that is made when your SP records a new episode. The suggested episodes should have a TiVo icon dot, while the SP episodes will have the regular green/yellow/yellow with exclamation point dots.

If you do not like this behavior, then you should turn off recording suggestions and delete the shows already in the suggestions folder.

7. dcardani

dcardani New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    OK, thanks to everyone for the info. Yep, it's definitely from suggestions.

That seems like a really dumb thing to do. I'd think that there'd be a way to say, "record all episodes of this on all channels," if that was what I wanted. If I already have a season pass, why would I want to see more episodes that aren't in the season?

Oh well. I guess I'll leave it on for a few weeks and see how much it annoys me.

Oh, BTW, when I said it "wanted to advertise stuff to me," I meant that it seemed to mostly record infomercials. I have never voluntarily watched an informercial and would never buy anything from one, so it was just a waste of time for it to do that. It was very annoying.