Season pass questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kevin80302, Feb 18, 2007.

1. kevin80302

kevin80302 New Member

Feb 11, 2006

Advertisements

I record a few different programs that repeat during the day. Is there a way to tell the season pass manager to record the program at 6am instead of the one at 8pm, when I'm trying to watch live tv?

Example:
    Monday I record Hero's on NBC and Enterprise on HDNET. They both come on at 8pm but Enterprise repeats at 11pm. I don't care if I watch it real time but Tivo keeps trying to record it. I have to go in an manually choose the 11pm episode and tivo will cancel the 8pm showing.

I had the same thing when I was recording This Old House... That had 3 episodes that were shown 3 times a day. 6am, 6pm and 11pm.

I want this stuff to record at off hours and not take over the tuners when I'm trying to watch live tv.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    Go to options during SP creation (or edit) and choose new episodes only.

3. BuckAv

BuckAv New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    I don't think you understood the original poster's question.

I have wondered about this myself, and haven't figured it out yet. Sorry.

4. ZombiE

ZombiE TIVO Bender

Dec 16, 2005
    Fort Walton...
    Kevin,

Only way I have figured out how to do that is to go back into the Sp and then select the 'View Upcoming Shows' I think that is it, anyway, then you'll have to manually select the times that you want it to record at and then unselect the times that it picked.

I wish there was a way to tell the SP what time to record. Or at least for it to learn what time you like that show to record. With this method you’re going to have to go in there every two weeks and change the times again.

I hope that I’m just a tard and there is a better way to do that. Anyone? :D

Z

5. kevin80302

kevin80302 New Member

Feb 11, 2006

Advertisements

Sounds like i confused everyone so here we go again.

For example:
    A station shows the same episode of a TV show at 7am, 12pm, 6pm, 11pm. Can you make the season pass manager record the showing you want?
    I'd like to be able to get my TIVO to record stuff when I'm not watching so I am free to watch other stuff.

Examples:
    HDNET shows reruns of Star Trek Enterprise Monday's at 8pm and 11pm. It's the same episode each showing. I'd like to set the season pass to always record the 11pm episode instead of the 8pm episode. I am recording Hero's at 8pm and would like to keep the 2nd tuner free to channel surf.

DIY shows reruns of This Old House from 6am to 730am.... they repeat those same 3 episodes starting at 6pm and at 10pm. I'd like the season pass manager to only record the 6am, 630am, and 7am showings instead of the later episodes.

Kevin

6. ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    Yes, I did misunderstand the question. I've seen this posted elsewhere, and there is no "fix." The only suggestions I've seen made are manual recording times.

7. kevin80302

kevin80302 New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    The SP manager seems to record the first available episode showing.

Example. I set up a season pass for Grey's Anatomy on Friday night. I know it's a repeat but I am watching other stuff on Thursday night. Tivo keeps picking the Thursday episode unless i manually go in and pick the friday episode also.

It seems that if there is a free tuner, the SP manager will try to take it over to record something from the SP list. I like to keep both tuners free so I can avoid commercials!

I can go into the SP manager and manually chose the episodes but that is a pain when you have 20 SP's.

Kevin

8. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Pick a random channel and set up a one hour manual recording season pass for Mondays at 8 and rank it higher than Enterprise.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Correct on your first statement.

Season passes by design record all episodes of a particular show on a channel but it tries to be smart about not recording duplicates via the 28 day rule. If TiVo has enough info to in the EPG data to know that two eps are the same, if it's been successfully recorded in the last 28 days or is still in the Now Playing List, it will not record it again unless you set the SP to record all (with duplicates). If there isn't enough data, it errs on the side of caution and records all eps.

There of course can be conflicts and TiVo is smart enough to record alternate airings on that channel if they exist.

There's no reason to keep "tuners free" to avoid commercials or watch live TV. Why would you bother? You'll eventually stop watching live TV and realize it's silly to for everything other than sports. Why bother? Just set a SP for the shows you care about and then start watching them ~15 mins late and set their priorities appropriately to achieve whatever you want.

If you REALLY want to only record a particular time slot, you'll need to set manual time based recordings, which sort of defeats the purpose of SPs. If the show gets moved to another time or date or they run a longer than normal ep (and it's reflected in the EPG data), you'll miss it or the extra portion w/a manual recording.

10. kevin80302

kevin80302 New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    If one of the tuners is recording something, it is harder to pause one channel and flip back and forth between tuners watching a bit of several programs. (I run through lots of remote batteries)

I watch most stuff live but reruns or programs from DIY, history, food network to record sometime other than in prime time. It's nice to have backup programing when there's nothing good on the 200 satellite channels.

Kevin

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    As I said before, you'll find that you'll stop watching live TV just as most TiVo users have. I still think it's silly to watch shows which aren't sports live. I don't watch any sports at all, so that means I virtually nothing live.

If you've only got 2 shows you're flipping back and forth between, why not set SPs for both? TiVo is good for recording primary shows you like besides "backup" programming.

12. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Many have mentioned using a manual recording, but none have said where it's done. So go to Pick Programs to Record > Record by Time or Channel > Manually Record Time/Channel

13. ToddNeedsTiVo

ToddNeedsTiVo Shampoo is not toxic

Sep 1, 2003
    Ankeny, IA
    I have a couple of news shows that record each evening, but these shows air three times. Obviously, I have the SP set on first run only, but the stupid guide data never seems to have anything resembling an episode title for the programs, so TiVo assumes all three airings are different. If I don't expunge the duplicate recordings in the to do list every week or so, my keep-at-most setting of three episodes will be clogged up with the same episode because TiVo can't recognize the re-airings.

I don't want to do a manual recording because I want the TiVo to try and record it on the first airing, but be able to automatically bump to the second or third airing if higher-priority SP programs come up.

Frustrating.

14. jayfest

jayfest Not-so-New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    New Jersey
    Since you hopefully don't get too far behind on watching your news program, you can also let them all record and delete the duplicates after they've been recorded (you'll probably have to increase your keep-at-most limit on the show), hopefully shortly after.

The TiVo scheduling algorithms are relatively smart (certainly a lot smarter than my Comcast DVR's), but they do not take into account the concept of channel surfing, which I admittedly find myself doing a lot less of these days, but can still be a special pleasure (as long as you don't get the 57-channels-and-nothing-on feeling).

Here's another thing the TiVo software can't do: "Monk" keeps getting clipped on Friday nights. The TiVo could record a later broadcast of the episode which wouldn't be clipped, but it won't do that because I have clipping set to ON, because of other shows which are NOT rebroadcast at other times. The clipping setup choices need to include a third one that says "Clip shows ONLY if you can't find any other time to record them without clipping them"

15. justinw

justinw Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Be thankful you have HDNet.. :mad:

16. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    You can't do your preferred 3rd option yet.

But for a show like Monk which always repeats, you could increase the padding enough that the total overlap exceeded 5 minutes. Since the TiVo won't clip more than 5 minutes that would automatically force the TiVo to grab the later showing.
    (The downside is, if there ever wasn't a later showing, you'd miss the episode entirely)

17. BoyScout

BoyScout New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Utah
    If I want to watch a show near live (same night) and there is a potential conflict, I give that show a higher priority than the repeatable show. It has always worked for me.

Another option is to record the second show on another TiVo and transfer it with MRV.

18. jayfest

jayfest Not-so-New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    New Jersey
    Good idea! Thanks. (No later showing of Monk? Not likely - they only show the new episodes about 10 times during the week!)

19. Deacon West

Deacon West New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Oh, how I miss MRV. Let me count the ways......

20. kevin80302

kevin80302 New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    I've always been with Dtv so I've never had multi room viewing.

I might CONSIDER the S3 tivo if MRV was currently supported.

As far as the SP manager goes... I wish it was smart enough to learn when I wanted it to record and when I wanted it to get out of the way.

Kevin