Season Pass not recording for some shows when "First Run Only" selected

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by LionMage, Jun 19, 2005.

1. LionMage

LionMage New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been around and around with TiVo technical support today. I had to call them on three separate occasions today, and still have not resolved this issue. What's worse, it looks like TiVo technical support does not want to believe that the problem might somehow be their latest software update, or perhaps a problem with the program guide data from Tribune.

Where to begin? I noticed yesterday that a new episode of Teen Titans (Cartoon Network) failed to record, even though I had a season pass for the show. The issue seems to be that I have the season pass set up to only record first run shows, and not reruns; it would seem that somehow, TiVo's software is not identifying the new episodes as new episodes.

There doesn't seem to be a good way to report this kind of issue on TiVo's web site, so I called technical support. The first two suggestions they gave were to (1) delete and re-create the season pass, and (2) if that didn't work, go through guided setup to rebuild my index. So I did as they suggested, and tried both things. (Then I tried suggestion #1 again after suggestion #2 failed.)

Since both suggestions didn't work, I was then asked to delete my program guide data and to-do list items. (TiVo Central -> Messages and Setup -> Restart or Reset System -> Clear program information and To Do List)

Well, I jumped through that hoop and that didn't seem to fix the problem; future new episodes of the show in question were still not being flagged for recording.

Even more disturbing, after performing this reset, I lost at least three of my season passes, one of which was for the show I was having problems with (Teen Titans); the other two season passes lost were my number 1 and 2 season passes (Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis).

I called technical support again, and basically was told that the next two steps I would have to go through were "Clear and delete everything" (basically wipe my TiVo clean), and if that didn't work, exchanging my TiVo hardware. Mind you, at no time was there any indication to me or any other reasonable person that there was a hardware problem. Not only that, I told the technical support representative that both of these options were unacceptable, as I have recordings that haven't been watched or saved to another medium; nor was there any reasonable indication of a hardware problem. I likened their approach to "swatting a fly with a sledgehammer."

Even though I had spoken to a customer service rep who agreed with me that there might be programming guide data problems upstream from Tribune, technical support was very intent upon treating this as a problem specific to my TiVo unit. Yet other season passes are recording as expected -- so if the problem is specific to one show, why would it be my hardware at fault?

On a personal note, this is grating on my last nerve. It's bad enough that TiVo Desktop doesn't work on the latest version of Mac OS X, and that TiVo has recently backpedaled on its promise to bring TivoToGo to the Mac. Now it seems that even the most basic TiVo features aren't working as they should.

So far, the only work-around is to either manually tell TiVo to record shows that aren't being flagged correctly, or to change the season pass to allow reruns and then manually deselect the reruns I don't want. Has anyone else run into similar problems, or is there a fix for this behavior that I'm not aware of?

2. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    This seems almost too obvious to ask after all that but...

Is the show marked as first run? (ie first showing = the date that it's listed on?)

(Press Enter or Info to get to the extended info screen to find the first shown date.)

3. LionMage

LionMage New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's a good question, and one that you'd think TiVo's support personnel would have asked. But they never did.

The show is not, in fact, marked as first run. For example, there's a new episode of Teen Titans scheduled to air on Saturday, June 25th, called "Mother Mae-Eye." Even though this is a new episode (which was mentioned during a Cartoon Network season premiere event approximately 2 weeks ago), the first showing date is listed as May 12th, 2005.

To me, this seems like an obvious guide data problem. Since Cartoon Network shows new episodes of Teen Titans first, and since I saw nothing to indicate the contrary (i.e., the episodes don't seem to be showing up first on another network), wouldn't you say this is bunk data?

4. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Yeah, bad data. MTV is (or was at least) notorious for reporting bad data on their shows. Comedy Central has also had issues. I don't remember hearing about Cartoon Network before.

Oh and I agree that the CSR should have known to ask that.

5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Yep, but Your Tivo can only operate with the information it has. If you want to blame Tivo the company, they pay Tribune Media Services (TMS) for their info and Tivo has no way of knowing how accurate it is. If you want to blame TMS they only distribute the information they receive from the individual sources and TMS has no way of knowing how accurate it is. So now it's down to blaming Cartoon Network. Go ahead and see if they care.

6. clark190

clark190 New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    This happened to my friend recently, first with Oprah, then with Lost. The shows weren't recording or showing up in the TO DO list. She changed the option to repeats and first run and the shows appeared in the TO DO list. Then she changed it back to first run only and they were still there. Bizarre. Btw, I just noticed that the previous messages were from last June. That's more bizarre.

7. icedancer

icedancer New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    It is the CN, even without TIVO.
    Check any of the online or printed guides.
    CN changes their lineup about every other week.
    It takes them two weeks or more to infom anyone of the change.
    They flag new or reruns randomly, if at all.

I can understand printed guides being behind but
    online guides should be able to be updated within 24 hours.

I have sent e-mail to TVGuide, ZAP2IT and CN.
    If eveyone started complaining, maybe they will start paying attention.