Season Pass for Merlin Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ADG, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Have this problem on S3's and Elite. When I set up a Season Pass for Merlin on SyFy (first run only, keep all) it sets up just fine. But it never schedules a recording - I end up having to schedule each one individually. Anyone else have this problem with any shows? Thanks.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, having exactly same problem now that you mentioned it. Looks like I missed season 4, episode 1 which aired last week and my To Do List was empty for this week and next as well. Thanks for the warning as I've now scheduled them to record manually.

(My season pass is first run only, keep 25)

EDIT: After looking in more detail at upcoming episodes (press Info when under show description) I noticed the following:
    The Darkest Hour - Original Air Date = 10/8/2011 (This is season 4, episode 2)
    The Wicked Day - Original Air Date = 10/15/2011 (This is season 4, episode 3)

i.e. The guide listings have original air dates from last year and since my SP is 1st run only that's why they are not recording.

3. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    This has been discussed several times before. TMS uses the OAD from when it aired in the UK. So a FRO SP will not pick these up. You need to set the SP to First Run & Repeats.

4. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Got it - thanks much

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Must be new then because I used same SP previous 3 seasons and they used to work OK.

Time for another repeat manual recording at certain time slot SP I guess.

6. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I had the same problem too. I almost missed the season premiere, but didn't because I saw the advert during another show and went and checked the todo list and it was not on it. So I went to the season pass, yep, it was there. I just scheduled it to record manually. And did the same for as far in the guide I could go. Irritating.

7. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    One solution is just to schedule a repeat manual recording every Friday at right time slot. That way you also get to test the 20.2 bug with Recording History and manual recordings. :D

I usually don't like changing SP to record repeats since there are many, many repeats that will be recorded especially when you first change it and 28 day rule of not recording same thing is not yet in effect.

8. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Yeah it's annoying, but all shows imported from the UK have the same problem (Primeval being another one). Fortunately Merlin only airs once a week so setting it to pick up repeats work, except when they have the occasional marathon.

Technically it's a guide problem, but it's another reason why TiVo should allow season passes to be restricted to a time slot.

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I never use Amazon but actually was considering it to view the missed Season 4 Episode 1. Alas Amazon is not (yet) offering that episode.

10. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Amazon is good for missing episodes. It doesn't have closed captions though, which I find for many shows from the UK are almost a necessity. :)

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    And no non-plus Hulu support, either.

There is nothing worse than missing an episode in a series because of a mistake or power issue or pre-emption, etc, and not being able to get it. Fortunately, many cable stations will replay episodes a few days later (as is the case with Merlin). Unfortunately, most network/broadcast TV does not.

Of course, if you miss both, then you have to try and watch it online or find someone that might have it. I remember being in that boat several times.

12. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    In the good 'ole ReplayTV days it was easy to find someone else with the recording and just download it from them... I don't do bittorrent so guess I'll just watch it when it eventually gets to Netflix.

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Well if turning on repeats is necessary anyway then an alternative is using repeating manual recording SP for a specific channel and time slot which is what I use. That avoids the issue of recording other repeats for other time slots.

14. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The problem you run into is what happens if there's a conflict. For example, say you have a manual recording for Merlin (10 PM EST) and two other season passes air at the same time. Merlin repeats two hours later so if it was a normal SP, TiVo would figure it out to record all three shows. With a manual recording it would be up to you to handle it.

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, but a normal season pass with option for specific time slot only would have the same issue. For the manual SP make the priority higher than other shows that may be around same slot to make sure it records and then let TiVo handle the regular SPs. I use kmttg remote for identifying and handling recording conflicts which lets me see conflicts for all Premieres, cancel recording on 1 TiVo and schedule on another etc. i.e. Manually resolving conflicts is much easier than it used to be having to do it on the TiVos themselves. The iPad app can help in that regard as well but is not so easy to switch between TiVos easily for handling cases involving more than 1 TiVo.

16. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    I think Lost Girl, too.