Season Pass - Change the Default Settings

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by CCourtney, Jul 28, 2007.

1. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    I did a fair amount of searching and I haven't seen this posted anywhere.

Is there any way to change what the default settings are for when season pass.

I just got my TiVo HD yesterday and I'm trying to set up all my season passes, and I have to go to the Options and then change it to get First Run Only, Keep until I delete ... every friggin thing I set to season pass. It's taking twice as long just because the defaults aren't the way I'd set them for my personal taste. With that I would hope that TiVo would allow you to set what you feel the defaults should be.

Any help would be appreciated.

CCourtney

PS: I tried 3 different 802.11g USB Network Adaptors and every one I got the 'Not Supported' statement and finally went out and paid 2x the price for the TiVo 802.11g Adaptor.

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Unfortunately there is no way to do what you want. Each season pass must be manually modified.

3. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Aack, that's what I was afraid of. Well I switched over to trying to do it all online for now. At least I'm not dropping out of watching an existing show to schedule a recording that way.

CCourtney

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Good request. I have often thought the same thing--why can't I change my SP defaults?

One small tweak: Most of the time when you are creating an SP, there will be an "Option" setting right there. You can change your options as you create the SP, and not have to jump to the Season Pass page.

5. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    That's because the only wireless adapter supported by the THD box is the Tivo branded wireless G :)

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Of course, you can use any ethernet->wireless bridge. These are often sold as "gaming adapters."

7. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Yes, I realize this. But on many other TiVo'd they listed a limited number of adaptors and many others still worked.

I've seen many people indicate that they believed other adapters would work on the TiVo HD, I thought I'd test it out. The intent of the PS: was to basically point out, that through my trials, it appears that indeed the TiVo HD (at least currently) only supports the TiVo wireless G network adaptor.

That said, I think I may be keeping my SA8300HD around. There's just some things that are annoying me on the TiVo HD.

1.) Can't Browse Guide while watching a recorded show - This is something I do frequently as I seldom watch live programming.
    2.) No ability to change what the Season Pass Defaults are.
    3.) Doing just about any friggin' thing on TiVo cuts out the existing program/show.
    4.) No Stop Button (yeah the record button kinda does that but still limited in functionality)
    5.) Live Button Switches to secondary tuner instead of popping you to the 'Live TV' on what your watching - What's that about? Isn't that what the 'Enter/Last' button should do?
    6.) Guide (Show Playing) - Having the current show completely behind the guide is very annoying. I wish it was in a sub-window. This is the way the SA8300HD and DGH-HDD500 both do it.

CCourtney

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Having both an S3 and an SA8300HD, I can address a couple of these . . . (and of course, YMMV, as we all watch TV "my way").

4) No need for a STOP button. 99% of what the stop button does on the SA8300HD is done by other buttons on the TiVo. And done much better, more intuitively. Try it, you'll see.

5) One of the BEST features of the dual tuner TiVos is the way the Live TV button works. You have two, true tuners to watch. And you are slightly off on your usage. If you are watching live TV, it switches to the other tuner. If you are watching a recording, it switches to live TV. And if you are in the buffer for either live or recording, pressing the -> key takes you live/end. I think that's what you are trying to say, and it already does it.

9. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Be careful in doing any critiqueing here, there are some people that will get seriously offended that you made fun of their God! :p

I kid, I kid!!

But, seriously, yes, I noticed some of those same differences when I switched from a Tivo box to my CCs PVR. While their PVR is slow and buggy, at least I can watch a show in the window while perusing the program guide, etc. I've always been a bit boggled on why Tivo can't do this. The new Comcast Tivo software will support this so why not roll this out to the mainstream Tivo community?

10. grantdoug

grantdoug New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    You change the default season pass settings such as # of shows to record on 1-click right at your MyTivo web page. https :// tivo dot com slash tivo-tco slash 1clickoptions.do#seasonpass