Season finales so early?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    What is it with shows going to season finales in January/February time frame? I understood The Good Place because it was only 13 episodes. But criminal minds is having their season finale next week. I didn’t realize they were going to have a shortened season this year.

2. Feb 1, 2019 #2 of 40
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    I looked on futon critic and I think in this particular case it's to load up on more reality (cheap to produce) programming.

Looks like Seal Team is sliding into the Criminal Minds slot at 10pm Wednesdays. And sliding into the prior Seal Team slot at 9 on Wednesdays are World'd Best and Million Dollar Mile. Ugh.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  3. Feb 1, 2019 #3 of 40
    59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    Back in the “olden days,” networks aired reruns of current shows for large chunks of the year, so it took longer to get to the end of each season. Now that most shows only air new episodes, it’s easier to burn off a whole season more quickly, even with some brief hiatus periods.

4. Feb 1, 2019 #4 of 40
    stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    No, that's fairly recent. In the "olden days" a season of primetime was 22-26 episodes (with summer being a pretty dead schedule). It started dwindling down to the point where 13 is now a standard season, with sometimes just 6 episodes ordered for a new series to try it out. Whereas in the past shows were given a chance to find an audience (and those reruns were part of that chance), now it's find an audience immediately or die.

Which is a damn shame because some shows considered very successful took awhile to find an audience. In today's world, The Office would never have been given a chance. It had a great first episode (ratings-wise) which quickly dropped across the five remaining the first season. It was a mid-season show. It got mixed critical reviews. NBC gambled and won, as Steve Carell rocked it in the box office the summer of 2005 with The 40 Year Old Virgin and the rest is history.

5. Feb 1, 2019 #5 of 40
    Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Criminal Minds usually has the 21 episode season. Did it have fewer episodes this season?

6. Feb 1, 2019 #6 of 40
    realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It looks like it only had 15 this season. I’m not sure why.

7. Feb 2, 2019 #7 of 40
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I often hear this and think it's propaganda. Look at the ratings of some of the shows that come back, even relative to the competition. It's easier being renewed today.

8. Feb 2, 2019 #8 of 40
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    "13 and out" is not a "new" thing; in fact, Tim Conway was in so many of them that his license plates said "13 WKS" (back then, California personalized plates were limited to 6 characters).

Also, with pretty much everybody having access to On Demand, reruns aren't as important. How many shows that have full-season runs still air summer reruns, besides Fox's three animated shows?

And I can only wonder how many shows that never got past a pilot would have gotten at least a 6-episode order had they been made today. Then again, "a 6-episode order" and "six episodes get aired" are two different things.

9. Feb 2, 2019 #9 of 40
    stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    A phenomenon restricted to him (as he states in that link), not indicative of the scheduling practices of the time.

Tim Conway - Wikipedia

In 1970, The Tim Conway Show paired Conway with Joe Flynn of McHale's Navy in a sitcom as owner-pilots of a one-plane (a Beechcraft Model 18 named Lucky Linda) airline operated by the pair. Having "nowhere to run", this pressurized situation was ideal for the fast repartee of the lead actors. It debuted in January 1970 and the last new show aired in June 1970.[11] In the fall of the same year, Conway was given his own hour-long variety show, The Tim Conway Comedy Hour,[11] or The Tim Conway Comedy House,[6] which, as his other series had, folded quickly, lasting only 13 weeks.[11] Typical of his self-effacing humor, he ordered his car's license plate to reflect the short duration of the series: "13 WKS".

10. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    What had been the common practice for decades was the networks ordering 13 episodes of a new fall show, and then if it was successful enough, ordering another 9 episodes (often referred to as "the back nine") to make 22. I assure you, it wasn't something exclusive to shows starring Tim Conway in 1970.

DevdogAZ, mattack and JYoung like this.
  11. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    Did you miss my post where I said 22-26 was common? This would be because after that 'trial' season, 22-26 was the norm. So it seems you agree that 13 is the new normal season, with 6 as the new 'trial', correct? The Good Place has never had a back end order, it has remained at 13 episodes each season.

12. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    They were actually offered the back 9 the first season. They turned it down.

13. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    Not to turn this into a Good Place thread (hell of a show though), it's actually contracted not to happen.

The Good Place: Nerdy Season 1 Details You Might Have Missed

"It’s in Kristen Bell’s contract that a season of The Good Place can’t extend to twenty-two episodes. NBC is able to take the season order up to a maximum of sixteen episodes, but not beyond that."

14. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Sure, that says NBC can't require them to do more episodes under their current contract... but they can just offer a new contract. NBC wanted to do this but folks on The Good Place didn't. I think Agatha's post is correct.

15. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    I felt my post was adding to hers, not denying it.

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I kind of like the short seasons. Much easier to binge watch a whole season that way :) Perfect example of this is The West Wing. Was going to go back and binge TWW on Netflix, but with multiple seasons at around 20+ episodes a season, it would just take too long, so I never have gone past the first few episodes (that and Sorkin's dialogue I can only take in small doses, his stories are great, but his dialogue...well I've talked about it before).

The short 10-13 episode seasons lead to much tighter storylines, which I like. Of course for shows like CSI or other CBS procedural where the plots are self contained in each episode, then short seasons don't matter. For serialized shows, which I like better, shorter seasons are best.

17. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Well maybe so, but I would not want to give up a single episode of TWW. So there! :D

Some shows absolutely would/do benefit from shorter seasons for sure. Heck even some 13-episode seasons are too long (looking at you, Netflix Marvel shows...)

18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Not saying TWW is bad (from what I saw, quite good), but the task of trying to get through 7-10 seasons x 20+ episodes is daunting, and I just don't have the time to do it. Maybe after I retire.....

19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    7 seasons. An hour (really, 43 minutes or so) a day. It's not as if there is so much else good going on. ;)

20. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    :)

I'm having enough trouble keeping up with current stuff these days.

That said, I started re-watching the last season of Game of Thrones over the weekend in prep for the new season in April, so I'm not adverse to re-watching old stuff.

stellie93 likes this.