"Searching for signal" error when changing channels

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Fezmid, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN

Advertisements

I now have two HR21 DVRs and they're ok (not as good as TiVo, but hey...). However I've noticed that sometimes when changing the channel, the "searching for signal" comes up for awhile. Today it took about 10 seconds to lock onto the local Fox channel to record Prison Break.

My signals are all in the high 80s and low-to-mid 90s (with some even at 100!). And once the channel is locked in, there's never a problem - no pixelation or anything. So what's the deal? Anyone else experience this?

2. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Hmmm, so nobody else has this problem?

Another example - yesterday, after finishing Sports Center, I went to flip to NBC to watch the Colts/Bears game. It took a good 30 seconds for it to find the signal, even though the signal strength is in the 90s. Not a single problem after it tuned it in... :(

3. Cabinwood

Cabinwood Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 11, 2000
    North Georgia
    Sorry, I've had the new DVR's for a few weeks now and have never seen that problem...

4. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    Yes, you will find Tivo owners who also have HR2xs in here but you will have much better luck getting your question answered in the relevant forum over at dbstalk.com

5. GurlTech

GurlTech Oh my

Jun 13, 2004
    Either D.C....

Advertisements

I had this problem over the weekend.
    I was confused, went out and looked at my markings and they were all lined up.
    (since my siding was re-done and they did not put the dish back correctly)
    I marked the alignment on my balcony, because now they have to move it to paint.

But nothing had changed and eventually it just cleared itself up.
    Oddly my HDTivo did not have an issue.

Usually when I see this on my HR21 I just reboot it and it goes away, but I was being lazy.

6. GurlTech

GurlTech Oh my

Jun 13, 2004
    Either D.C....
    Alright I spoke too soon.
    I am now getting a searching for sat signal on all my HD channels.
    regular channels like 7 and 4 come in fine and the news which broadcast in HD on those channels looks fine as well.
    I think FOXHD is fine to was able to record the Sarah Conner Chronicles last night.
    The dish has not been moved.
    No trees blocking it.
    It just stopped working I reset the DVR
    swapped the cables at the dish.

Is it the multiswitch on the dish?