Searching for Satelite Signal

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gdk5433, Jan 26, 2006.

1. gdk5433

gdk5433 New Member

May 3, 2005
    I have a HR 10-250 like many of you that has worked well since I purchased it in August of 2004. I have two inputs hooked up to it, both of which come directly from the dish. There are 4 inputs total coming from the dish with the other 2 going to a multi-switch. Last week I received an error message indicating that my HR 10-250 was searching for a signal on satellite 2. As I had this problem before with my other 2 TIVOs that were hooked up to the multi-switch and solved it by simply replacing the multi-switch, this time I was a little perplexed as there is no multi-switch involved. Not knowing what to do, I unplugged the TIVO for about a minute, switched the input cables going into the back of the unit and for a couple of days, success! You guessed it, this time I had a new error message which said Searching for signal on satellite 1. (I guessed since I switched the cables, I got the new error message indicating satellite 1 rather than 2) In an effort to solve the problem, this time I repeated the guided setup and again problem solved, albeit only temporary as the problem again surfaced a couple of days later. Once again I repeated the guided setup and for now, no problems.

I am trying to pinpoint the cause of the problem and want to know if anyone else has had this problem or could offer an opinion on what may be causing it. I am guessing it is not the TIVO unit and at least to the best of my knowledge all of the cables are securely connected although I have not been on the roof to verify this. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area so there is not snow to block the signal and there are no trees blocking it either.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Glenn

2. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    Glenn,

Similar problem. I have the Phase III dish into a Terk MS58.

I have the OTA running through diplexed to my HR10-250. I was getting a failed signal on input 2.

Ok, so I re-run through the sat dish wizard on the HR10-250. I set it for Oval 3LNB. Run though. Cannot locate sats 119/110. Complete the wizard.

Check channels 376, 379 and there they are. Set to 72-80. The channels are there too.

Wierd.

3. bmartin5150

bmartin5150 New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Madison, WI
    I have the same problem. Working fine for 1.5 years and now this-

I'm getting the "Searching for Sat 2 in" banner.

Tuner 1 works as normal

Tuner 2 only gets certain channels - for example it does get 72, 73, 78,79

but not 74, 75, 76 = x721 message or any channel near TNT, TBS, etc

Anyone know whats going on?

4. miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv New Member

Sep 29, 2005
    I get the same message at times, primarily when trying to tune to certain XM stations (810, in particular). It's not all XM, only a handful. Never saw it before XM got added.

I haven't spent a lot of time diagnosing it, other than to observe it seems to happen only (or mostly?) if the other tuner is on an HD channel.

I can usually futz around with changing tuners, channels, etc. and eventually get 810 tuned in...

5. terrier1

terrier1 New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    I get this same message occassionally. Sometimes on Sat 1, sometimes on Sat 2 and it mostly happens around sundown then finds it again after the sun is down. Go figure.