Search syntax query

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by Paul Webster, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Paul Webster

Paul Webster Member

Nov 16, 2003
    UK
    What would be the "right" way to set up a search for "Dexter" without hitting "Dexter's Laboratory"?
    I tried
    -Dexter*s Lab* | Dexter
    But is stil finds the unwanted show.
    I can't put in "-" for Category (to exclude Childrens/Animation)
    I can't put in the category for "Dexter" because I don't know it (I could guess but this is a generic problem really).
    "Dexter" does not appear in the search list - because it hasn't been on for a while I presume.
    I could go on Internet and look up the actor's name but I shouldn't have to - and who knows, it might change for the next series.

Is it the apostrophe that causes the problem?

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I just tried this and it worked fine.

Title Keyword: DEXTER
    Title Keyword: -LABORATORY

Will filter out that particular show, but there's also a programme (I forget what) with a chararcter called Dexter mentioned in the episode title, which the above WL also picks up. But I assume you're not going to make it an 'auto-record' anyway. But even if you do, at least it won't pick up all those eps of "Dexter's Laboratory".

3. Paul Webster

Paul Webster Member

Nov 16, 2003
    UK
    Well done - hadn't thought of that.

4. jethrouk

jethrouk New Member

May 7, 2011
    Dexter* -Lab*

5. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    He can't see my posts; but not sure why he didn't see yours, Paul, indicating the problem was sorted :confused:

6. Paul Webster

Paul Webster Member

Nov 16, 2003
    UK
    Note - episode title is included in "Title" by TiVo search ... so this can pick up some unwanted things (there is a show with a reference to a dog called Dexter in an upcoming episode title).
    Not a big thing for unusual word like "Dexter" but perhaps the ability to limit search to programme name or episode title would be useful.

7. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Which I did mention :)

Agreed.