Search function broken?

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by GameGod, Sep 3, 2007.

1. GameGod

GameGod New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Hi,

It seems like the search function is broken -- when I searched for +mad +men in the "Now Playing" forum, I'm not getting the latest results -- for example the thread titled [Mad Men - "Red in the Face"] doesn't show up at all, but other older threads do.

Thanks.

2. GrondramB

GrondramB New Member

Sep 2, 2005

I'm guessing that the search index is only updated periodically. In any case it seems to have caught up now.

[​IMG]

3. GameGod

GameGod New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks GrondramB.

I still don't get the latest results. I thought it might be my desktop, so I tested the same query with the laptop and I got the same stale results.

I tested with both Firefox and Internet Explorer to rule out any browser specific issues.

When I try the search, the first item I get is "NBC will not renew iTunes contract". The result set you got is completely different.

Weird.

4. GrondramB

GrondramB New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Looking back, I didn't use plus signs. Since the default operator is "and" I would not have thought that made any difference.

5. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jan 1, 1999
    The site uses full text search, as such no special characters are needed. In this case it also helps to search by thread title vs post.

6. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    See the thread below for the reason you couldn't find "Mad Men" and how to go about finding it ...

Why does the default search ignore thread titles? Why does the default search ignore thread titles?

7. GameGod

GameGod New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    ah, that makes sense. definitely not intuitive. sigh.

Thanks.

8. GrondramB

GrondramB New Member

Sep 2, 2005

Gamegod, I want to apologize. When I tested your search, since you were looking for thread titles I set it for titles without even thinking about it. I'm sorry if I contributed to your frustration.

Paul