Search for movie across services

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Schalicto, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Jan 7, 2019 #1 of 23
    Schalicto

Schalicto New Member

Jan 7, 2019

Advertisements

I have a roamio ota and I was wondering if there is a way to search for a movie and have TiVo tell me if it's available on any supported service, and if it's not available save the search and notify me if it becomes available.

I assume this is possible, it seems like an obvious function of onepass, but it doesn't seem to work. If I search for a movie it just says TiVo doesn't recognize it.

Am I making any kind of sense? Or am I just crazy?

2. Jan 7, 2019 #2 of 23
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Movie?

BTW, using Search on a TiVo only looks at services you have checked in "Add & Manage Apps" under Personal Preferences (with TE4). Voice searches don't care about that.

3. Jan 7, 2019 #3 of 23
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You can set up a wish list for a movie or tv show or actor and the TiVo will record it when it appears in your guide. But it will not "add it" if it suddenly becomes available on a streaming service. What you can do is bookmark a movie you are looking for and then decide what service to use to watch it. If a movie is found but is not currently available, it goes into a folder with "not available" name and should move out of that folder once it becomes available but I've seen mixed results from this, i.e. movie becomes available but is still in not available folder.

4. Jan 7, 2019 #4 of 23
    Schalicto

Schalicto New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I was able to use voice search to make a bookmark. I added John wick, but it didn't find it on any services, I would have hoped it would give me the option to buy on Amazon or something like that.
    How do I create a bookmark without voice search? I don't have voice search on my main tv, I have it on the mini vox I just bought for another room.
    I've had this TiVo for 2 years, but never really explored this functionality.

5. Jan 7, 2019 #5 of 23
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

What apps do you have installed? I just searched for John Wick and search showed that it's available to record on A&E (Comcast here) or I can rent it on Xfinity On Demand or Vudu. If I had the Prime Video app installed, it should show it as available to rent/buy from Amazon (I only have the Prime Membership app installed as I only want to search to see what's available through my Prime membership for free).

I do use bookmarks to save movies that I missed at the theater but want to watch when they become available either on Netflix or Amazon Prime or available to record.

Scott

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  6. Jan 7, 2019 #6 of 23
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Do movies you bookmark that aren’t currently available show up in the movies folder for you when they do come available? If you understand what I mean

7. Jan 8, 2019 #7 of 23
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Because of Xfinity On Demand and Vudu, I've never run into a movie that I've bookmarked which isn't already visible in the Streaming Movies folder. I usually go through the list every week and can just arrow down the list and the right hand pane will show me if it's available from another source that's free to me (Netflix, Amazon Prime or shows HBO Go if it's currently on HBO). If I open each entry in the list , I can see if it's available to record on any cable channels as it will have a "View Upcoming Shows" menu item and I can schedule a recording. I could set up Wishlists for the recordings but with many movies available on streaming this works for me.

Scott

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  8. Jan 8, 2019 #8 of 23
    Schalicto

Schalicto New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I'm Amazon prime, so I only selected that app. I think I get what yourey saying, I'll try again today and report back. I don't suppose it sends a notification if the sale price drops.

9. Jan 8, 2019 #9 of 23
    AlvisoShowcase

AlvisoShowcase Member

Oct 29, 2017
    FYI, the search results are different if you use Voice or Text search.
    Text will show results of what's currently available to that TiVo box (around 14 days of guide data, and your selected OTT apps)
    Voice will show results from the TiVo database of movies, shows, actors... regardless of their availability.
    You can check the behavior by searching for a future release like "Fast and the Furious 10"

PSU_Sudzi and rpj22 like this.
  10. rpj22

rpj22 Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    SoCal
    Nice to know ... I guess I should spend more time getting to know my voice tools. Now all I need is a way to import the 400+ titles from my IMDB watchlist.

11. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Not so. Text input at least via the app, will yield movie results for movies not available. Not all movies of course because the TiVo database is rather crappy. I’m not saying that voice doesn’t yield more, just that text input is not as limited as you claim.

12. AlvisoShowcase

AlvisoShowcase Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Just so we are clear, I’m not assuming how the search works in a TiVo box, I kinda know.

The mobile app gets its results from a different pipeline than the text search in a TCD and also a different pipeline than the voice results.

HerronScott and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  13. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No it doesn't tell you if there's any price change.

Scott

14. Schalicto

Schalicto New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Everything seems to work as described in this thread. Thanks for the pointers. My experience is that voice search will find titles even if they are not available in the selected apps, and text search will only find titles available in the selected apps. It kind of sucks, if I don't want to buy/rent a movie but I want to know when it becomes available on a streaming platform, I have to add Vudu/Amazon, search and bookmark the title and the remove Vudu/Amazon.

15. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You shouldn't have to do this with Amazon as at least on TE3 there are 2 apps - Prime Membership and Prime Video. Prime Membership should just find what's available streaming as part of your Prime Membership. Not sure why you would have to remove it.

Scott

16. Schalicto

Schalicto New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Because TiVo would display the movie as available, even though it's only available to rent/buy. With a onepass you can select rent/buy as an option to include, but you can't do that with bookmarks... Right?

17. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Not with the Prime Membership version of the app which is intended to show just what's available with Prime (versus the Prime Video version). Just make sure you only have Prime Membership checked.

Scott

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    With TE4 you have a major menu "APPS", which has pretty pictures plus favorites, movies and other selections. Only one Amazon box, like a Roku or a smart TV. To specify apps used with Search, you need to use the Menu, select User Preferences, Add & Manage Apps, then do the box checking. I equate the use of voice to find things sort of like Google. Much more data but little control.

19. Schalicto

Schalicto New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    But search would not even find the movie if it's not available for streaming for prime members. Right? Maybe I'm totally getting this wrong.

20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Quick test: Search for "Fury". If you see (2014) you are going to get $$$$ movies. If you only see (1936) then you are set to just free stuff. That's Prime Membership.