Search by Title - doesn't find stuff!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pninen, Aug 17, 2011.

1. pninen

pninen Member

Jun 25, 2003
    I've noticed that my TiVo (series 3)'s "search by title" feature has a problem.

I type in the name of programs that I KNOW it should find, and it doesn't find them. Tonite, for example I tried to add "Austin City Limits" and "Twilight Zone".

The TiVo didn't find any Austin City Limits, but I knew what channel it was on, and was able to use the "record by channel" feature to find the program. This shows that Austin City Limits was in the program guide. Its just that "search by title" doesn't find it.

Later I tried to add "twilight zone". Search by title found one instance of Twilight Zone (on the CHILLER channel), but I knew it was also on SyFy. Search should have shown two instances. I was able to add twilight zone on SyFy by using "record by channel", again proving that it was in the program guide.

I repeated this experience several times tonite with different programs on different channels. Search just misses lots of stuff. I did a "connect to TiVo service now" and later did a reboot. No improvement. Search still misses lots of stuff.

Anybody else experience this?

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I just checked my THD with the two shows you mentioned and found them with no problem. Were you searching All Programs or did you specify a sub category?

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    1) do you have the channels enabled? You can still view by channel if you have the channel disabled. The main program finding mechanism will obviously skip the channels you have disabled.

2) Were the recordings close to 2 weeks out? Tivos have a VERY strange issue where you can get two DIFFERENT kinds of listings for shows. E.g. sometimes in a week of reruns of a talk show for example, I'll get the GENERIC info for that show.. But if I do a View Upcoming, THEN I will get detailed info. It's like there are two sides of the Tivo brain that aren't talking to each other often enough. (In fact, I saw this happen once WHILE I was recording the show.. The show in Now Playing had the generic info.. but when I did view upcoming and told it to record THE SHOW THAT WAS ALREADY RECORDING, then the info in Now Playing updated to the detailed show info.)