Seaon Pass - Need to Understand?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jangell2, Jan 19, 2006.

1. jangell2

jangell2 New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    I've got a season pass for Monk on Fridays, but there's two other programs on at the same time that I want to record, so I'd like to record one of the later "first run" Monk showings. From reading other posts, it appears to me that the only episode of Monk that is considered "new" is the one that shows at 10pm EST.

I've tried deleting the SP, setting up a new one and selecting a 1AM showing that night. I select record first run only, and when I look at the to do list, its going to record that 10pm showing, even though I had selected the 1AM showing to set up the SP. Is this happening because the 1AM showing is a considered a repeat?

If I change Monk to record repeats also, and lower its priority below the other two shows, I guess that works, but then I'll get repeats of Monk that I don't want, unless I go in and edit the to do list.

Is this the best way to accomplish this?

2. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    That's what I do for the oft-repeated shows like Monk, Dead Zone.

Set to first run and repeats and lower the priority.

3. sakura panda

sakura panda Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    I don't think that this is correct because I record two shows, first run only, at 10pm EST on Fridays -- and Monk is below Battlestar Galactica on my Season Pass list, so that I always end up recording the later showing of Monk.

I have several other season passes, for various shows and networks, set up the same way. I have a stand alone TiVo, but I expect that it should still work the same?

--Katie

4. jangell2

jangell2 New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    So you're saying set up all three SP's as first run only and give Monk the lowest priority and it will record the 1AM show?

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Exactly what he said. With shows like Monk, Dead Zone, and others that repeat "new" episodes several times during the week, a lower priority show will grab a later showing if there is a conflict at the first showing.

6. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    First Run Only (FRO) isn't just the absolutely first time an episode is aired. It is any showing of an episode within 28 days of the first time it aired. (Based on the original air date in that episode's guide data).

However, after it has recorded the episode once, it is considered a Duplicate for the next 28 days, which means that an FRO season pass will only record a given episode once, but it might be recording the 1am, or next Sunday afternoon, repeat if the fist possible airing had a conflict.

7. jangell2

jangell2 New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Ok, now I've got it.

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I have Monk below Battlestar Galactica on the list of one of my TiVos, and it records the late showing of BSG. It works both ways.