Seagate 750 GB - $140

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Chimpware, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Seagate 750 GB at Geeks.com

You need to enter the code SEA750 to get the lowest price of $139.95. Unit is refurbished, but seemed like a good deal to me.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Keep in mind that drive is very loud. If you want a quiet drive from Seagate, the only shipping option is the DB35.

3. Philly Bill

Philly Bill Everyday is Saturday

Oct 6, 2004
    Rotonda...
    I've found that one persons idea of 'loud' is a lot different than anothers.

4. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I know. I use Baracudas in several TiVoes. The ones I can hear (in S2s, incl. BR) don't bother me. In my S3, I can only hear it if I put my ear to the S3.

Others say they are bothered.

Its very personal.

5. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    I saw this drive but couldn't find anything at Geeks about warranty--do refurb Seagates come with a different warranty (I think it is normally 5 years)?

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I would love to see someone say this drive isn't loud. I have the same one in an enclosure for my PC and no way would it ever make it into a TiVo.

7. flightrisk

flightrisk New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    7200.10 PATA (used in your S2) is configured in silent mode; 7200.10 SATA (used in S3/THD) is configured in loud mode. Also, the newer Seagate 7200.10s are much louder than 7200.9s and older Barracudas.

I bought a 7200.10 SATA thinking that people were exaggerating how loud it is, and I totally regret it. The 7200.10 is ridiculously loud. I can hear its constant seeking across the room. In a room with as many as 10 HD's running (including 3 7200.9s), the 7200.10 is far, far louder than anything else. It will be replaced as soon as I get another HD.

8. slimm

slimm Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I had one in my S3 Tivo. It is loud! Took it out and replaced with a DB35.

9. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Yeah, I'm looking at DB35 pricing now too. There's more to these than just sound. They're specifically engineer to perform with DVRs and have a much better Mean Time to Fail (MTTF) rate when used in DVRs.

Almost the same type of drives are rebranded from other enterprise class drives that are used in enterprise server and storage area network environment. Their built for constant and intense use.

For a few dollars more, I'm looking to add this and be done with it.

10. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    anyone see a problem with it being refurbished?

I'd like to get 2 and stick them in a DSN-323 (dlink) NAS enclosure (RAID 1).

11. jsidlosky

jsidlosky New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Maybe you can fix the loudness with acoustical management?

My first generation 500gigabyte Maxtor Drive was the loudest drive I've ever heard. Inside my HTPC on the floor, it would vibrate my hard-wood floors and I could feel it in my bed.

I set the acoustical management from 255 to 128 and now I can't hear the drive anymore, it is the QUIETEST drive I've ever heard.

Now its inside my Tivo HD and I can't even hear it with my ear up to the unit.

12. lickwid

lickwid Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    You cannot adjust the acoustics in Seagate or Maxtor drives anymore.

I originally purchased this 750GB drive as well brand new from Fry's. Return it after running it for 1 day. The heat is tremendous bordering dangerous. And the noise it emits is unbearable.

I went with a Hitachi 1TB drive and have not looked back since. Seagate drives are great for their 5 year warranty. But for a Tivo, the new SATA's are no good unless you're looking at the DB35's.

13. rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    Run away..... Geeks refurbs are crap IMO. I have had way too many bad products from geeks. Purchased many items 'new' and received refurbs. Once ordered a 250GB/7200 HD and got a 5400. Buyer beware.

14. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    It says on the site it's only 180 days. I would never ever get a refurbished drive, it's pointless.

And these are way too loud for a DVR, I wouldn't get this even if it were new at that price.

Now, for a PC RAID array, they are just fine.

(BTW, new these drives are only $209 at newegg.com, and you get the full 5-year warrantee.)

15. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Really Maxtor's too? I realize Seagate bought Maxtor, so do they even make new Maxtors? (i dunno)

I've had no problem running AM on my (older) Maxtor drives I've owned.