Seagate 160GB Drives on Sale at Best Buy

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Yog-Sothoth, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth MRV Junkie

Jun 14, 2005
    Fountain, CO
    $69.99

These drives have a five-year warranty. More info here.

2. wes000

wes000 New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Not too bad a price with no rebates. usually you can get this hdd for $49.99 after rebate. Some times $39.99......

3. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    Tiger Direct has a 300 GB Seagate for $89.99, after rebate.

4. Spike_KK

Spike_KK New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    SW Ohio
    I think BB just got done with a $39 no rebate deal on the Seagate 120GB. Agreed, it's not much of an upgrade, but it's a good size if you are worried about LBA48 compatibility (or whatever the 136gb limit is called).

Usually the Seagate retail kits have a $40-50 rebate if you are patient. I think they had/have an ongoing agreement with Outpost.

These drives are a good blend of quiet, cool, and reliable (5 year warranty). I can't recommend them enough. I upgraded both of my DTivos with these drives, and average temp never gets above 40C-42C (open air shelf).

Spike

5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    FYI, for those wanting a backup drive for their computer, I believe Best Buy also is advertising a Seagate 160gb External USB 2.0 drive for $89 w/no rebates.

6. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    In the past, external Seagate drives only had 1 yr warranty, as opposed to 5 yr for internal. So read box carefully.

7. wangmaster

wangmaster New Member

Mar 22, 2004
    that's the drive I have in one of my R10s. I paid 34.99 after rebate and coupons at best buy for mine.

However, I'm on my third drive. Seagate's RMA process leaves a little something to be desired. First drive died shortly after the first month. Filing an RMA request online without running windows is a ***** as their app only supports IE. I was able to get it to work by changing the user agent in firefox, but that's just plain stupid. Plus they use all sorts of popup windows. Gack!!

Once you file an RMA, you send the drive out to them at your expense (I expected that). They process the drive (1-2 days after receipt) and then ship the drive out to you using DHL ground (5 day delivery). Every other company I've dealt with ships replacements out 2-day air, so expect to be down 7days + days for whatever shipping method you use.

Cross shipment costs 24.99. In the past, maxtor and western digital, IBM, and even seagate (when i shipped back my 4GB SCSI barracuda drive) did cross shipment free so long as you secure it with a credit card, so I thought this sucked.

Replacement drive died in about 4 days. Had to go through the process again. This time, I bitched until they did cross shipment for free, but it still shipped DHL ground so 5 day delivery after 2 days to process the RMA (what the hell did they process? I didn't send them anything yet). So 7 day lag time.
    FYI, all the days I listed are in business days, so pad a couple of days to take into account weekends.

Third drive has been in place for about 2 months now and so far so good.
    Replacement drives are refurbished. First drive was all scratched up on the top and along where the screw holes are. 2nd drive looks alot better. They replace the drives with a new reconditioned label, so there's no information as to the manufacturer date of the replacement drive (that bothers me).

I'm somewhat spoiled in that most of my harddrive replacements in the past have been SCSI drives (which apparently they take more seriously) or Dell replacements under warranty (which I found to be an absolute breeze compared to seagates).

Still, it's a good drive for the TiVO. Runs cool and is at least as quiet as the western digital 80gb drive in the R10, if not more quiet.

8. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I did that one for $99, they reject rebate for no real reason.

9. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    Tiger supposedly guarentees all rebate they advertise, but you have to submit everything by certified mail.

Which rebate did they reject? The current offer has $50 from Tiger and $10 from Seagate,