SDV Workaround?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pmiranda, Dec 20, 2006.

1. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Has anyone tried tuning a cableco box in the house to a switched channel to see if it allows the S3 to receive it? Assuming that the bandwidth SDV tries to save is from the curbside box to the office and not from the curb to the set-top, this might actually work.

2. Austin_Martin

Austin_Martin New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    The only problem with this plan is that the Tivo has no way to control the cable box. So if there's two different sdv channels that you want to record a week from now, there's no way to make sure that the cable box is tuned to both channels next week.

3. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    There's only one channel I need that's (going to be) switched in my area. If there's just a couple, I could still pull it off for regularly scheduled shows and my old TiVo even without service. Heck, it could work for HD channels... old TiVo will happily ask the cable box for channels it doesn't understand.

4. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I'm not even sure switched channels will show up in the channel map that the CableCARD receives from the headend.

5. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hmm... good point. If the cablecard refuses to map a channel, then I'm hosed. I know this is true since I had analog channels drop out one weekend when the cableco screwed up the cablecard mappings. The channels were still there, the card just pointed to the wrong place. I'd have to hope that it's easier for the cableco to point at the right place all the time even if the node is only sending that channel some of the time, than for them to go through and point at a "blank" channel.