SDV Tuning Adapter -- TWC Kansas City

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by slow, Jan 13, 2009.

1. slow

slow New Member

Jan 13, 2009

Advertisements

Yay, first post!

I just got my SDV Tuning Adapter here in Kansas City after being told I was part of the local beta testing program. I plugged in the adapter, waited for the light to stop blinking, then plugged it into my Tivo HD and now I have all the SDV channels I didn't receive before!

I'm not really sure if they are giving these out to other people (I hope they are -- it's been a long time coming), but I'm sure I got it by calling over and over again about it.

If anyone needs any specific information like addresses or phone numbers, just let me know.

2. slow

slow New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Just a follow-up:

After watching TV last night it seems like the TA degraded my signal just enough to cause pixelation and quality issues on many of my HD channels, and I no longer received HBO HD. I've had signal issues in the past (I live in a recently remodeled condo building), but hopefully they'll get it fixed today. I'll post again to keep people updated.

Just out of curiosity, what's the preferred signal level?

3. cableguy763

cableguy763 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    The ta actually amplifies the rf signal around 3 dbmv. In your dvr diagnostics that will show you the signal strength. A 100 reading here means your rf level for that frequency is 0 dbmv. You want to see from the 80's to 100 on these. Also the S/N needs to be over 30.

4. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    I'm part of the KC beta too. I got one TA yesterday and hooked it up as well. Oddly enough my TA didn't stop blinking until after the TivoHD started playing the opening movie.

Unplug Tivo HD
    Reroute wall coax to TA
    Plug in TA - TA blinked
    Attach Coax between TA and TivoHD
    TA still blinking
    Attach USB between TA and TivoHD
    TA still blinking
    Power On TivoHD
    TA still blinking
    TivoHD Starts Opening Movie
    TA stopped blinking
    Tivo acquires Channels with grey ying/yang spinny thing
    Tivo finishes channel acquisition
    HD Channel Goodness

So far so good. The only thing I've noticed is there are times I can't get an SDV channel, and get a message to hit select again in a few minutes. So I hit select again immediately, and then it usually works. The real question is, if select has to be hit again and it's a scheduled recording, will the TivoHD do that automatically?

[NG]Owner

5. nowakezone

nowakezone New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Missouri

Advertisements

Let me know who you talked to about getting on the beta test. I am a KC users and would love to be on the beta test.

6. slow

slow New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I imagine that's just coincidence. I didn't boot my Tivo until the TA light stopped blinking which took probably 5-10 minutes.

7. slow

slow New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I talked to customer retention 2-3 times last week about SDV channels and the Tuning Adapters. I got a call from the CSR I was dealing with (don't remember her name) on Thursday about the beta program and she said she was going to send my name to the person coordinating everything. I got a call on Monday informing me that the adapters were in and I could pick it up at the Winchester Cable Store. Here's the address:

Winchester Cable Store
    6555 Winchester Ave
    Kansas City, MO.
    8:30am-6pm, M-F
    9am-5pm, Sat.

8. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    Must have been, cause the TA was powered up for about 7 minutes max before the Tivo got to its starting movie. It took me a while to snake the coax and USB cords between the TA and the TivoHD.

For those wondering, the Cisco TA is about the size of two 5x7 picture frames stacked on top of one another. And thankfully, the powersupply is inline with the power cord. No brick at the plug.

Also, I got my TA from the Winchester location as well.

[NG]Owner

9. nowakezone

nowakezone New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Missouri
    Did you just go to the store and say you wanted one or did you have to talk to someone special. I have went through customer service and the supervisor in customer service and they say their is nothing they can do. How do you get on the list if their is one?

10. slow

slow New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I guess I just got lucky and talked to a CSR that actually cared. She was in the customer retention department because I called to cancel my service.

Maybe you can get her!

11. gorilla

gorilla New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Just got my TA..I've gone through all of the hook-up/setup..Got the steady light and the ying/yang screen..Yet, I still don't get most of the HD channels. I don't receive any more now, even with the TA, than I got without the TA. Is that a bad TA? Or bad setup?

Apparently, this was a signal strength issue. I had some lines re-run and all is good.

12. brentj

brentj New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    I got my TA for both tivos yesterday. (KC TWC) There are a handful of channels I still can't get (but CAN get on my rental cable box on the same account) For example, 1039, 1045 and others in this range.

It says "channel unavailable. Press Select to try again" or similar. But it never works.

The green light on the TA is solid. I've redone the guided setup after it wasn't working... no luck.

Anyone else in KC with success/failure? And have you checked all the HD channels you should get?

13. startrbear

startrbear New Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Kansas City
    So we got our tuning adapter from a TWC KC office on Jan 31st and installed it right away. After ten minutes of blinking and a Tivo restart, we finally started to see some of the HD channels we had been missing out on begin to appear. Not all channels were coming in, but we thought that in time, they all would begin to show up. Not the case.

Now it's a few days later and we are still missing a couple dozen HD channels. We've rebooted the tuning adapter and the Tivo in various orders, but we still consistently miss out on the following stations:

TBSHD, SCIHD, PLDHD, USAHD, TLCHD, CNNHD, DSCHD, FAMHD, TRAVHD, FOODHD, HGTVHD, VSHD, APLHD, TOONHD, FXHD, SCIFIHD, BRAVOHD, DISNHD, SPEEDHD, BIOHD, GRNHD, TOONDHD, MGMHD, HDNET, HDNETMV, UHD

Are any TA users able to receive these channels or is this an issue for everyone? I've yet to been able to reach anyone at TWC KC who are able to provide any help. Thanks!

14. nowakezone

nowakezone New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Missouri
    I also am still missing USAHD and FXHD. I talked to TWC yesterday and they told me there is a known problem with those 2 channels, even on their DVR. They say they have fixed their DVR but are still having problems with Tuning Adapters. I am getting all the other channels though. I am in Lees Summit. I have not received the 2 channels i mentioned since i have hooked my TA.

15. tomkc

tomkc New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I had a problem in not being able to get these channels (1014 through 1070) and the 190 ... 223 channels (digital tier). A tech came out today and got most of the channels to come in. You could see the successful result on the TIVO by going to Message & Settings > Settings > Remote, CableCARD,.. > cableCARD decoder > Configure CableCARD 1 (Multi-stream) > CableCARD menu > then SA CableCARD CP info > which should lead to a screen with a line "Auth Status: CP Auth Received."

Prior to the tech calling in to get the authorization fixed, the Auth Status was "Awaiting CP authorization" During the reactivation / re-pairing, the Auth Status temporarily changed to "No info." If you have either of these last two Auth Status, you probably need a tech to come out and call in the re-pairing from your home.

The above change by the tech allowed me to get most of these channels, but I still don't get USAHD, HGTVHD, FXDH and one or two of the digital tier. For a while, FOOD HD was also missing, but now (several hours later) it's there.

16. startrbear

startrbear New Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Kansas City
    We unplugged everything and started over. First we started the tuning adapter and allowed it to get going until the light stopped blinking. Then we plugged the Tivo HD back in and let that start up. We got the channel scanning screen with the black and white spiraling disc. Once that was complete, we did have more channels than before, but still not all of them.

One or two (like SciHD) we received for a short time and then no more. I'm hoping that if I give it a good overnight, it might receive whatever information it might be missing and we'll be good to go.

I did check the CableCard CP info screen as described above (thanks tomkc!) and I did find the CP Authorized message, so that seemed okay.

Hopefully we'll get some more concrete information from TWC or others here so that we can start receiving all the channels we're due.

17. nowakezone

nowakezone New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Missouri
    Well after my post yesterday i am now getting USAHD and FXHD. All is working good now.

18. startrbear

startrbear New Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Kansas City
    What gives? I'd say at least 25% of the time the HD channels display the message "This channel is temporarily unavailable. Press SELECT to try tuning to this channel again. Contact your cable provider for more information."

This even happens just after watching a channel and it freezes. E.g. I was just watching TBSHD, the picture freezes and sticks that way. I tune away and try to tune back and get the temporarily unavailable message. So frustrating!

Does anyone know what is causing this? Of course TWC customer service didn't know what to tell me.

19. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    Not here. After reading this thread, I checked out those two channels. They don't come in.

[NG]Owner

20. gorilla

gorilla New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    I've got the same issues. However, seems to be only a problem in the evenings. The TWC tech that came out and installed my cable cards said it was simply a bandwidth issue. Which apparently means if too many of my neighbors are watching TV at the same time as me, then there's not enough bandwidth for us to get all the channels..So, several of the switched digital channels won't come in. Does the same thing on the TWC box. Seems odd...