SDV Tuning Adapter Pixellation

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by kevinivey, Jun 16, 2009.

SDV Tuner Pixellation

Poll closed Jun 21, 2009.
  1. works perfectly in regards to no pixellation

15.8%
  2. random pixellation

68.4%
  3. more pixellation on recorded than watching live

15.8%
  4. Still waiting for a sdv tner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kevinivey

kevinivey New Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Columbia, SC

Advertisements

I have had a Cisco sdv via TWC since April, and have issues with pixellation on all sdv channels. Sometimes ok ,and sometimes random. Tried lowering my signal, because I had a 100% signal, but that has not fixed it. I come to the belief that the tuner is a band aid ,and TiVo does not care, and the cable company really does not have a clue.

2. jacksonian

jacksonian New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I chose random, because I believe it is even though I notice it more on recorded shows. But that's because almost everything I watch is recorded (as I would guess most TiVo users do). So just keep that in mind for the poll. You'll have a selection bias that might make it appear that there's an issue with recording (which may or may not be true).

3. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    If you are having pixellation it probably has nothing to do with the tuning adapter or directly with SDV. Pixellation is due to an improperly received signal. This can either be equipment at your end (the Tivo), equipment at their end (the SDV plant and distribution equipment), or low signal strength/something interfering (caused by too many splits or bad cables). Unless you have the cable run into the Tuning Adapter and then into your Tivo it is not possible for the adapter to be at fault. The Tuning Adapter never receives or processes the signal. What I suggest is that you test your cable by taking it straight from its entrance into your home (no splits). Use a high quality two way splitter. Hook one side to the TA and the other to the Tivo. No matter what under these conditions it is not the TA at fault (unless it fails to change channels). At this point if there is still pixellation try removing the split and hook the TA to the cable at the entrance to your house and the Tivo to the TA (TA has a small amp I think). If at this point you have pixellation it is TWC's problem as they are not giving you a strong enough signal to your house. They will probably come out and try an amp if your signal levels are low. If they aren't low they obviously have something causing interference on the line somewhere and that is their issue to deal with.

In honesty I do see a little more pixellation channels that are delivered via SDV, but it crops up on TWC's boxes as well. It is only occasionally for me so I bet it is just the new SDV equipment not providing quite as good signal to noise and since the line into my apartment is on the lower edge of signal quality already it is understandable to me. (I should probably get them to put an amp before my splitter, but I have no plugs left and don't want to break fire code.)

4. kevinivey

kevinivey New Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    tivo hd tuned to a SDV channel with a sdv tuner= pixellation
    SA8300 SDV channel= no pixellation

Same single coax connector to a splitter then directly at the units side by side. In other words they are getting the signal. It may ultimately give justification to go strictly ota .

5. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006

Advertisements

Maybe the SA8300 has a better tuner than the Tivo...?
    You describe how they are hooked, but your description is incomplete. How is the tuning adapter hooked in with the Tivo?
    Is this diagram correct?
    cable line ---> splitter ---> SA8300
    |
    ---> TA ---> Tivo
    Try these other setups to see if there is pixellation.
    cable line ---> splitter ---> TA
    |
    ---> Tivo
    cable line ---> TA ---> Tivo
    This could help isolate the culprit behind the poor signal at the Tivo.

6. jacksonian

jacksonian New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Um, actually, that's how mine works. Cable goes into TA, then from TA into TiVo.

7. Nick Satullo

Nick Satullo New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    I have 5 HD TiVos Series 3s, all with lifetime service. The SDV came as no welcome sight from TWC to my home, but the tuning adapters arrived soon enough.

Once the switch to SDV was made, and before the tuning adapters arrived, I lost a group of stations I was paying for, and could get none of the new stations added by TWC of Ohio (and I'm honked off that HDNet is no longer part of the package). TWC came out and did some tinkering, and got three of the televisions working. One awaits hookup, and one simply hasn't been cured of the missing-station-itis on the new channels.

Of the three that work, all experience unacceptable random pixellation, both live and recorded. This is true on the new channels, as well as on legacy channels. I haven't checked to see if it does it on non-HD material, but this really screws everything up, and I've got a lot of money invested in TiVos.

Whatever the problem is, it could well lead to the demise of the TiVos in my home.

Thanks,

Nick :cool:

8. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    That is the diagram and the general setup that the cable company will provide, but it is not necessary to string the Tivo on after the TA. If the TA has a bad amp or something it could affect the signal getting to the Tivo, so I was trying to get an attempt to hook it up without the TA in line so that it can be ruled out as the culprit of the degraded signal.

9. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    Or, I've read somewhere, maybe it has a worse (less sensitive) tuner, so it doesn't notice the errors, even though they're there.

10. jacksonian

jacksonian New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Has anyone done a poll to see if there is more pixellation with S3's vs. HD or HDXL?