SDV+Series 3= no suggestions, anyone else?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by zowwie85, Aug 20, 2010.

1. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

Does anyone else have an issue with their Series 3 HD Tivo not recording suggestions? It recorded suggestions when analog-only was connected and stopped when cablecard + SDV was hooked up.

TiVo has asked me to reset my box twice - first time clearing all thumbs up, second time clearing all thumbs up plus scheduled recordings.

It gets more interesting - when I cited other online threads about the issue (not sure what the policy is about linking to other forums) - the technical support rep agreed to open an escalated case.

However, that has handcuffs attached to it :) You have to "wait 5 to 9 days for a call back" and "if you contact us about the issue again be sure NOT to cite the escalated case number because if it's opened and saved at our level it is no longer associated with that ticket queue, it falls back to level one. However, your escalated ticket number is mentioned in the original."

I interpret that as, "a case got added to our bug tracking system and attached to the existing known bug. Don't call us, we'll maybe call you."

Credit for service fees? No, not by technical support. You have to call customer service. It's like having to deal with a second cable company bureaucracy...

Does anyone else have this issue, or had it in the past? If so, how was it resolved? I'm new to TiVo and bought it because of hearing favorable things about it. I see the potential... but right this second I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

2. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    Yes, this is common and Tivo absolutely knows about the issue.

The suggestions list stops populating with a tuning adapter attached. If you unplug the TA for a period of time, the list will repopulate and suggestions will start recording again.

Then suggestions already on the list will record with the TA attached. But the list won't repopulate itself again so you'll eventually run out. Rinse and repeat.

Don't count on it to ever be fixed. Tivo wants you to buy a Premiere in order to own a box that works.

3. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    That's weird. I wonder why it works on my S3 with a TA?

4. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    Suggestions still work for some people with TAs but don't work for others. We'd have to hear some official word from Tivo what the difference is.

I am on a Motorola system, but I've heard that Cisco users also have the problem.

5. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX

Advertisements

I'm on Cisco (SA) w/ Time Warner...when the TA works, it works well. Every once in a while it will not tune and I lose shows, whether a suggestion or regular recording. Since there is no "to-done" list for suggestions, maybe it loses a whole bunch and I'd never know.

6. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Yes, old news and Tivo is aware of it. Yet there is some confusion as to why it happens. Once camp is saying that it has to do with a "speculative recording" setting from the cable company; however users with both a Series 3 and Series 4 note that while they get no Suggestions on the Series 3, they do have them on the Series 4.

My personal experience has been if the Tivo is not used for a period of time (such as being away for a week), suggestions will begin to record (for me 5-12/day), and then stop again when I return.

7. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    There's no to-do list but is your suggestions list populated?

Tivo Central -> Find Programs -> Tivo Suggestions

For those with the no-suggestion issues, the list will be empty unless it has been allowed to repopulate by unplugging the TA.

8. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    When should I mark my calendar to unplug the TA? Is it roughly the same date I see the TiVo service charge hit my credit card?

Should I unplug the TA during daylight? Night-time?

Please advise.

DaveDFW please note this is NOT directed directly at YOU.

It's just that there was some marketing blurb about suggestions that I read maybe once before buying a TiVo.

I bought one.

I put on the kneepads and got a cable card paired not only with my TiVo but with an SDV adapter. Nobody that answers the phone at Cox (my cable company) has any f*****g clue what that is. They only got my card and SDV adapter to work whatsoever because I made a lot of noise.

So... I spent a large percentage of a paycheck on a TiVo. I bought suggestions - because its a MAJOR selling point, right?

Once again I respectfully request: where are my suggestions?

In closing some keywords need to be included.

TIVO FUNCTION COX PHOENIX HASSLE FRAUD SUGGESTIONS DVR SPECULATIVE TUNE FAIL

TIVO: I will not go away, not whatsoever. Either reimburse for the misrepresented product or make it work. Premier does, somehow? Why doesn't Series 3?

Variation on this post to be REPEATED DAILY on random forums of my choosing. I will be more on top of your SEO than your experts - and that's a promise - until you make it work.

9. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    I'm with you, I think the whole situation is ridiculous. Unplugging the TA to repopulate the suggestions list is something I read here on the board, obviously it's just a quick workaround and not a fix.

Until Tivo actually fixes it, we're stuck.

10. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Had a series of calls with TiVo this morning :(

Outcome:

We have no fix for your problem.
    Upgrading to premiere would not fix your problem, even if you paid for it.
    It's your cable company's problem, not ours.
    We will waive the cancellation fee on your subscription.
    We will not honor our 30-day money back guarantee even though the problem was reported within the 30 days.

I haven't decided what to do so far but will within the next 24 hours or so.

Probably going to sell the TiVo on eBay if they won't take it back (unbelievable), go back to that Commodore 64 my cable company provides as a DVR and save up for a Ceton card.

11. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    Sorry to hear you didn't make any progress.

Apparently it's just as hard to find to a competent person at Tivo as it is to find one at your local cable operator. This lack of suggestions is not a result of anything the cable companies are doing--people using Premieres with TA's don't have this problem.

It's a problem with Tivo's software that is only affecting the S3 and HD.

It's little annoyances like this that will guarantee I never buy another piece of hardware from Tivo. Sure it works now, but just wait until Tivo decides that everyone needs a Premiere 2. No more support for your Premiere.

12. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    Just to further define the problem...

Tivo is saying that it's a problem with the cable companies. There is a flag that moves speculative recording way down in the priority list, so a suggestion might not record because higher-priority channel requests were present.

This is not what we're seeing. What is happening is that the suggestions list will not populate. Once suggestions are on the list, they will record on an SDV channel.

Speculative recording is not being blocked (for most of us). The Tivo software is failing to populate the suggestions list which leads to no suggestions being recorded.

13. ScratchFury

ScratchFury New Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I did one step above Clear and Delete Everything and my Suggestions worked again... for about a week. I unplugged my tuning adapter overnight, and the next day Suggestions were working again. I'm very close to just buying an AC timer that will power off my tuning adapter a few hours a night.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Why the heck would someone return a Tivo due to lack of suggestions??

15. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Because I dislike willingly dishonest companies as much as the kid with the bike in the Ally Bank commercial does, that's why.

At some point someone I interacted online or spoke with knew exactly the score. They've talked with lots of customers and know full well that S3+SDV+suggestions will not work. Yet they can't say anything due to "company policy."

I know firsthand how it is. I worked doing support for a company that sold a high-end (for its time) printing product. Because of a modification made AFTER the thing was received from the OEM it had a defect. We were told to attribute it to "humidity," period. End of story. Say anything different on a call and get walked out the door.

I don't know what TiVo's internal politics are behind the lie. Even made it clear I was not expecting a "free" upgrade to the box that supposedly does work.

A valid question. It's a much better user interface than this Scientific Atlanta/Commodore 64 wayback machine thing that I'm pretty much ready to go back to. However, had they had a policy of being truthful in the first place the outcome might be different. It's not like I'm self-reporting my configuration, nor can I possibly be the only owner of an S3 in Phoenix with Cox who's reported the problem.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But apparently they CAN WORK.. As others in other threads have said. It's apparently your CABLE company setting the flag that makes the Tivo do the REASONABLE thing and not use up a limited resource for others.

17. drevilkep

drevilkep New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    And yet my suggestions have been recording just fine since I got my Tivo HD with a TA and SDV on Cox, so it DOES indeed work.

So your proposed "solution" is to return to a DVR that doesn't even offer suggestions and has a worse user experience overall?

18. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes but part of that "solution" is to stop spending ANY money with a company that provided me with no support for the product I bought from them.

A solution was reached in which I'll only wind up paying 2/3 the cost of the annual subscription, which is fair given that I receive less than 100% of the functionality.

As far as future purchases from TiVo? Unlikely at this point in time. If I knew any of this BEFORE I bought it, I never would have made the purchase. I'd probably still be saving my pennies for the Ceton card to use with Windows 7 media center.

I now have the SDV box on a lamp timer which provides for some limited number of suggestions to populate while it's powered off. At least I can use the suggestions as a basis for requesting recordings that are not flagged as speculative.

19. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't believe the resource is really as limited as they make it out to be. It's another artificial barrier (like very minimal staff training on how to use the authorization system) imposed to keep 3rd-party devices on the network to a minimum.

20. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    my recorded suggestions dropped 95% after I got a TA