SDV, Comcast, Tivo HD and a Cable Box...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by EVizzle, Aug 15, 2007.

1. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    I am not going to give the cable company any more money, and was wondering if I could avoid the SDV concerns by keeping my HD cable box and using an IR blaster to control the box with the tivo HD... would this function properly? I don't care if I have another box or being able to record 2 HD shows at once, just want to avoid my Tivo HD being useless with SDV.

THanks in advance...

2. TracerBullet

TracerBullet New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    The TiVo HD cannot control a cable box.

3. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    How about a Series 3? Thanks again...

4. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    Nope.

5. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks folks... this makes me really sad. I want to get an HD Tivo or a series 3, but SDV scares me....

6. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    where do you live evizzle?

7. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    St. Paul, MN...

I loathe comcast and have a series 2 lifetime now, but need HD!

8. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    I live in St. Paul too. Just bought a TiVo HD and I'm enjoying it.

Additionally, it's a $300 investment, plus $6.95 msd discount (which you can get too adding it onto your account)...so let's say in 3-4 years something radical happens in the cable market and the TiVo's don't work...who cares? I buy a new $1200 laptop every 3-4 years...

I'm not worried about the next 3 years for Comcast in the Twin Cities. Comcast does have some plans here, as well as Texas, but the big reasons why they are focusing on the Twin Cities is because they have to upgrade the entire Minneapolis infrastructure anyway. The mess and equipment left behind by Time Warner market swap to Comcast requires an upgrade there so whatever they do fundementally different in the Twin Cities market will likely be done first in Minneapolis...and that itself will take at least 2 years to flush out.

Get it now or this Fall once the next set of software updates for the TiVo HD come out. I'm thoroughly enjoying it now...in St. Paul.

9. Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    3-4 years? From the buzz...seems like rollouts will be occuring next year in some markets.

10. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks, good to hear some positive info. I will get the Tivo HD, and the multi service discount is even better than the foolish comcast dvr price... by any chance do you subscribe to NHL center ice? if there is a handful of HD games it will be worth it all around. I should update my info to include location, too!