SD versus HD Menus on a Premiere/Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by astrohip, Dec 31, 2011.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm wondering why I would want the HD menus on a new Elite. Or conversely, what I am missing by only using SD menus.

Background: I have two S3s. I'm a *heavy* TV watcher, all HD. I don't watch any non-TV videos (NetFlix, YouTube, streaming, etc). All I do is watch TV. On occasion I'll look at pics or listen to music via TiVo Desktop. I don't use suggestions, and never search for shows beyond current TV listings (ie, I don't search online). I have 80+ SPs and 50+ Wishlists.

Interface speed is my primary concern. I don't care what the To-Do List or Now Playing screens look like, as long as they give me the info I need, and fast. I don't want (actually, I dislike) all the little video boxes on the HD menus. Clutter.:thumbsdown:

Just hooked up my new Elite a couple days ago. After fiddling with both HD & SD menus, I settled on SD. (1) They're faster. (2) Couldn't see any benefits to HD.

My question: Is there anything I am missing from not using HD menus? I'd like to make sure I'm not missing some killer feature by not using HD menus.

Thanks!

PS: It's been about 36 hours since I set up the Elite, and there are still some SPs not populating with upcoming episodes. Some do, some don't. How long should I expect to wait for them to flesh out 100% before I start getting worried.

[Example: two Monday night SPs, one for 2 Broke Girls, one for 2.5 Men. Monday's To-Do List has the 2.5 Men listed, but not the 2BG. :confused:]

2. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    Well, it's the holiday season and a lot of shows don't come back until mid-January. I have a lot that are marked None Scheduled. thefutoncritic.com is the bible, you can look up returning shows and shows that are ending by month.

That said 2 Broke Girls is on my ToDo list for Jan 2nd.

3. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I think this is a specific problem related to newly activated TiVos. It takes a day or two (or three) for the program data to get happy, and for SPs to populate. I'm just wondering how long it typically takes.

4. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    Ah! You're using TiVo's SP Manager online to get your SPs, right?

5. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yep. I wonder, if I had manually recreated my SPs, would they have started working right away? You've got me thinking maybe it was the online transfer at TiVo.com, from my S3 to the new Elite, that is causing the delay.

6. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
  7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    FWIW I feel the same way about menu performance and I just love the speed of my Elite in SD, HD was better then my Premiere, but I prefer SD and the way it works, it does the job perfectly for me and there's nothing I'm missing by not using the HD GUI.

8. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Season Passes work immediately. There have to be matching upcoming episodes in the guide data for them to record, however. Also, if you just started the TiVo service, there is some delay in getting the full 12-14 days of guide data and waiting for it to be indexed. This should only take a few days at the most. You can help it along to get the full guide data by forcing connections to TiVo. Indexing takes time though.

If a certain episode of a show is in the guide and is not going to be recorded, you can find out why it will not be recorded by going into the Recording History of the To Do List. Maybe your SP is first-run-only but the episode is a repeat.

Since you transferred the SPs from another TiVo, it was possible to create them without there being any upcoming episodes.

If you had tried to create an SP through the TiVo interface itself (not the online website) and there were no upcoming episodes, you could not have done it and would have had to wait until there was an episode in the guide on the correct channel before you could create the SP. Even then, the first-run-only setting might mean that the SP wouldn't record the episode if it was not a first-run episode.

9. Jan 1, 2012 #9 of 11
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    To-Do List still not correct. It's been three full days, more than enough time for indexing to work its magic.:mad:

I've had a chance to read parts of the huge "Initial impressions and details of the TiVo Premiere Elite" thread, and see where others have had problems with transferred Season Passes never working. I think I will trying deleting a couple of the old/transferred SPs, recreating new ones, and see if that solves it.

10. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    The online Season Pass Manager can be flaky when transferring season passes. You're better off using KMTTG to copy your SPs over. You'll also maintain the order that way, so you won't have to reorder them after. The downside of KMTTG is that it won't copy any SPs that don't have any upcoming episodes in the guide, so those will still need to be copied via the online SP manager since they also can't be created manually if there aren't any upcoming episodes in the guide.

11. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I had a chance to play around with the Elite today, and there clearly was a problem with the transferred SPs. About half of them worked, half didn't. And if you looked at the ones that weren't working, under View Upcoming Episodes was a bunch of garbage--dozens of shows totally unrelated to the SP.

I decided to delete most of my SPs and recreate. The only ones I didn't kill were ones with no upcoming shows, mainly cable SPs. And I'll fix them as those series cycle around.

It seems like such a cool feature, but it's not only worthless, it can be dangerous if one doesn't keep an eye on the To-Do List.

I've used FutonCritic for years as a dbl check of my To-Do List. It will become even more critical until I've cleaned up all the old SPs.