SD Programs now fill my screen in FULL mode.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mst3k, Jan 14, 2007.

1. mst3k

mst3k New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Southern...

Advertisements

Too cool. I don't know if something changed at Directv or what, but I used to have to change my Panny 42PX600 to JUST mode in order to fill the screen on SD
    channels. It was kind of a pain, but no biggie really. Now I just leave everything in FULL mode and all my channels pretty much fill the whole screen. I didn't change any settings so it must be them. If it is them................Thanks!

:up:

2. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    So you like to watch distorted pictures? Sort of defeats the purpose of a HDTV IMO. ;)

3. mst3k

mst3k New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Southern...

Did you miss the part where I said "SD" channels? My HD works perfect.

4. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Go to Messages & Settings/Settings/Video/TV Aspect Correction
    If Panel is checked you will get sidebars and if Full is checked you will get stretched full screen on SD.
    Maybe somehow your setting changed.

5. mst3k

mst3k New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Southern...

Advertisements

Thanks, ok I guess it was me.

:(

And Mark I owe you an apology. It appears that the full setting affects HD channels as well. Apparently it was, in fact, stretching the HD channels as well.

I feel like such a tool.

6. Monkeybiz

Monkeybiz New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maybe because I have a small 26" Olevia HVX but the SD looks fine in stretched mode. I don't like it to be boxed in. Maybe it's the HVX ability to scale video but I like it. My HD looks good too but I never thought of it being stretched. I'll have to try panels in 1080i to test.

7. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Stretched HD in Full mode? Do you have the HR10 setting TV Aspect Ratio set to Wide Screen?

I have Panny plasma set to Just and stretched SD looks fine and HD is not stretched. My TV Aspect Ratio is Wide Screen and TV Aspect Correction is Full.

8. mst3k

mst3k New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Southern...

Upon further research you are absolutely right. My aspect ratio button on the Tivo only affects the SD and set to full it does stretch the SD and to me, it looks fine.

It seems to have no affect on HD channels at all. So....................Im puttin her back like I originally had it.

The Panny is set to Full. HD looks great. Then I set the Tivo to Full, which only affects the SD, and it looks all good to me. Oh and yes, Wide Screen.

:up:

9. jediphish

jediphish New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    The Ratio button on the top left of the remote will toggle back and forth between Panel (side bars) and Full (stretch).

10. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    No, but even watching SD all distorted still defeats the purpose of having a high end TV IMO. I suppose you like watching TNT HD too. ;)

11. whsbuss

whsbuss Advanced Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Phila, PA
    OK let me ask a question. I got a new Pio plasma which supports Auto Screen Size (4x3, Wide, Zoom, Full, Cinema). According to the manual HDMI supports 1920x1080i, 720x480p, 1280x720p, 720(1440)x480i, and 1920x1080p. It also states that in Auto mode, it detects the aspect ratio info to determine the screen size setting.

I currently have the HR10 set to 16x9 screen ratio. When I change output format to 480i for SD programming I still get the side panels from the HR10. Can someone explain how to setup the HR10 so my plasma can do the sizing?

12. jediphish

jediphish New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    I have an 1130HD. I set the Tivo to "Full" instead of "Panel" and then turn off Auto Size on the Pio. Then, set the Pio to Cinema mode, or whatever aspect ratio you prefer. It will remember this for 480i. If you send 720p or 1080i, the Pio will use Full (if that's what you had it set to), regardless which channel you're on, so you'll either need to watch it in Full (stretch), or 4:3 (panel). If you leave Tivo set to Full, you can use the Pio Aspect control to change it (Cinema not available for 720p or 1080i).

To be clear, the Pio will remember aspect settings for 480i/p and 720p/1080i separately, so you can have one set to Cinema and the other set to Full.

13. whsbuss

whsbuss Advanced Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Phila, PA
    Thanks. I didn't realize the Pio had the capability of remembering aspect ratio. I had my settings similar to what you described using Full on both the Tivo and Pio. I find no difference when I set panel on the Tivo and select Wide on the Pio. I thought with Auto Screen Size, feeding 480i with panel mode on the Tivo, it would automatically select Wide..... guess not. BTW, it works when selecting Ant on the Pio when receiving analog OTA signals.