Sd > Hdui

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by KCcardsfan, Jun 18, 2011.

1. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Finally getting an HDTV. I have the TIVO in the SDUI and am pretty happy with it. I will be using an HDMI cable to hook it to the new TV. Is it even worth changing to the HDUI? What are the benefits? Can I try it and then switch back easily enough if I don't like it?

Thanks

2. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    You can switch easily enough. Try them out.

I also recommend fully exploring all of the options in the video settings. Most notable setting only one and then multiple resolutions on the Tivo and messing with 16x9 and smart 4:3 options. All of these things have a significant impact on what things look like on screen and can adjust some annoyances (swap time when moving from SD to HD when pressing tivo and it changing resolution or removing the noise at the top of some SD stations).

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I really like the HDUI - others don't. You can switch back and forth very easily so give it a try...

I do not personally see any real performance difference between the two. HDUI is more dependant on an internet connection then the SD - but recent updates have tried to separate the screen refresh from the internet content.

Enjoy your new TV!

4. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Thanks. Trying it out now so far I like it. The only issue I was having was getting the HDMI to work. When I switched over to the HDUI it started working. Don't know if it was coincidence or not. I also restarted the TIVO and the TV as well.

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    As Aridon said,

You are going to want to go into your settings and set the resolution to match your TV. If you don't your TiVo will automatically detect the best resolution but it creates a noticible delay.

If you can't find the setting let me know and I will check the menu's this evening.

6. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    The HDUI looks nice, but for me was slower and a tad buggy. I like the SDUI because it works great, Im used to it, and its FAST.

7. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I prefer the HDUI. While it's slower than the SDUI, it looks much better and makes slightly better use of screen real-estate.

I only wish I could turn the useless advertisement bar off (I guess Tivo calls it a "discovery bar"). The rest of the HDUI could then use the screen space that was occupied by the advertisement bar, fitting more items on screen.

You'll just have to try it both ways and decide which you like better. The decision is not permanent; you can change back anytime.

8. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Really the major issue with the hdui is it takes about a second to a second and a half for everything. Now playing > program group isn't bad but then start surfing through the group and every times you move on screen it takes at least a 1.5 seconds until the show info gets updated. Scroll the list and you get the same stutter. Everything just takes a second or two longer than the sd ui which can get annoying.

Add to that the switching between sd and hd menu more than a click our two deep and you sum up about 90% of people's complaints.

The odd thing is this shouldn't happen its simply terrible programming. Watching the software make calls for items that should be cached and in general just not being smart about pulling content from the net.

9. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    To me, HDUI is like having to go through Facebook pages to get to where you want to be. Entertaining, and slow, if searching or just fooling around. Way annoying otherwise.