SD-DVR80 TiVo- Stuck on Clearing and Deleting

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by palmheel, Aug 23, 2011.

1. palmheel

palmheel New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I have a TiVo SD-DVR80, recently it became sluggish while changing channels and freezing for a second or so. I decided to delete some recordings ( did not have many), while doing so, I came across the clearing and deleting option, is been 14 hours and still nothing REC light is blinking. A friend told me to check this site for info and help. I have medium computer skills, formating drives installing OS, etc.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If this has lifetime service, replace the hard drive. If your "medium computer skills" include removing and installing disk drives, you can do it yourself.

Or you can buy a pre-configured drive here. You'll still have to remove and replace the drive yourself but you won't have to put it into your computer to set it up.

You could also buy a used DVR80 and use the drive out of it

If it doesn't have lifetime service, replace the whole thing. If decide to do that, make sure it is a model that DirecTV will let you activate.

3. palmheel

palmheel New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I have a DVR R15-300 that can not be activated, can I use that drive after formating and installing what ever software is needed?.

4. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I honestly don't know. According to weaKnees, that model cannot be upgraded so the drive may be difficult to remove.

5. palmheel

palmheel New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Is the image on the hardrive good enough to copy to a new hardrive or do I need a clean image, if so where can I download one?. I am kind worry to by a pre-configured one, I may have more than one issue combined.

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Once again, I have no idea. Have you tried pulling the plug, leaving it off for a minute, and plugging it back in to see what happens?

If you are going to go the DIY route, you could first try to see if you can even make a backup of the drive and what MFS Tools reports about the drive. If the image on the drive is unusable, you can try asking here for a usable one. The only officially supported method is InstantCake.

Bear in mind that any replacement drive is going to be connected to a PATA controller.

7. palmheel

palmheel New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Pulling the plug takes me back to Powering up window, it completes the process and goes strait back to Clearing and Deleting info window. I am tempted to order a 146 Hour Replacement Drive Kit (160GB Recertified) from DVRUpgrade for $99.00. If is also something else wrong though, do you think it may be something else.

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You could try running kickstart. First a 54. If that passes, do a 57 or 58.

9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Sounds like the TiVo s/w is still intact and there is either a disk problem in the data area or the database is corrupt.

If you don't feel comfortable with temporarily connecting drives to your computer or it doesn't have a PATA controller, that is probably the way to go.

Possible, but not likely since it boots up.