Sd Dvr40 Random Reboots

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Duffycoug, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Duffycoug

Duffycoug New Member

Feb 12, 2007

Advertisements

My SD DVR40 keeps randomly rebooting itself with no other issues. There is no pixelation, weird sounds, etc. It works perfectly other than the random reboots. Is there any way to fix this or is a new unit needed?

I haven't been on this forum lately and after reading a few messages I realize this is a widespread problem (D** must want all Tivo units replaced by their units, because I called them and they offered to replace my unit with one of theirs for $19.99 shipping cost)....I also didn't realize I had a software update to 6.3e, which is most likely causing the problem.....strange that my other two units work fine though. Is there any way to go back to a previous software version? I have an unhacked basic unit.

Thanks!

2. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Got it plugged into a UPS? Tried a Clear & Delete everything? Other than that, it could either be signs of a failing power supply or failing hard drive.

You do realize you don't need to keep it plugged into a phone line, don't you?

3. Duffycoug

Duffycoug New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    It's plugged into a UPS as is my TV and other components...only the receiver resets. As for the phone line, yes I know it does not need to be plugged in but it's there so I have it plugged in. I'm in the midst of a "clear and delete" to see if that helps, but the "clear thums" and "clear program and to do list" didn't make any change, so I'm not too hopeful.

4. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    ... going bad. If you're computer savvy buy a new drive and go here: http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/step1.php

If not go to weaknees.com or dvrupgrade.com and order a new "ready to go" drive. If you can work a torx screwdriver you should be able to swap it out. I believe they offer a service to do it for you if you don't mind sending your Directivo to them. Good Luck :)

5. Duffycoug

Duffycoug New Member

Feb 12, 2007

Advertisements

Well, running for over 24 hours now with no reboots......yesterday it must have rebooted at least 30 times....maybe the complete wipe out did the trick....I'll keep you all updated.