SD-DVR40 at 3.1.1

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by pruittwh, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1 of 14
    pruittwh

pruittwh New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    I had a hard drive crash and the latest image I had on CD was 3.1.1. I restored and expanded to a larger drive using mfstools and the 3.1.1 image. Am I just going to have to be patient for it to update to 6.3? I've seen conflicting messages on which versions are upgraded via phone line and which are upgraded via satellite. The way I am dialing is is Serial over PPP and using the ,#219 option in the dialing prefix. Many years ago, I know I was able to get an upgrade faster by dialing into a major market like the NY area. This may have been a perception on my part since I heard a rumor that the upgrades were released in larger markets first.

I have no interest in hacking the unit. I just want to get back the menu speed and the folders.

Thanks

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2 of 14
    wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    It should upgrade in onephone call. However, if the call is interrupted before all the update is downloaded, it may take more than one call to get all the update. Once all the update is received, it should show "pending restart" and the software will load on the next boot.

3. Sep 5, 2007 #3 of 14
    Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    And definitely a good idea to back up the image once you get 6.x :)

4. Sep 5, 2007 #4 of 14
    jdmac29

jdmac29 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    I purchased a brand new Samsung sir4040r directv tivo from circuit city last month and it came with the 3.1 software, it took about 3 days for the new 6.2 software to update and then about 2 weeks later for the 6.3.

5. Sep 8, 2007 #5 of 14
    Scott40

Scott40 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Hummm, I have not seen any of those in circuitcity here in a longggggg time. You must live in the boonies! :)

6. Sep 8, 2007 #6 of 14
    Murdock

Murdock New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    I put the unmodified original hard drive at 6.2 into one of my DVR40's tonight and forced several calls to Tivo in an attempt to download 6.3e. The calls were completed sucessfully but it did not download a service update. I wonder if this upgrade is currently only available through the stream and perhaps only at certain times? I reimaged and zippered one of my other units about a week ago and 6.3e is still not showing up in the MFS.

7. Sep 8, 2007 #7 of 14
    Scott40

Scott40 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I had a R10 that got the update within the past week. It was at 6.1, and was loaded with messages. It would not take the update with the messages. Done a C&D, then it took the update after that. Maybe it was just luck, but that was what happened in my case.

8. pruittwh

pruittwh New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    I'll try a C&D in a couple of days and see if that does the trick. I've been forcing a daily call a few times a day for a week now with success on each so I don't know if I'm waiting for it to download via the PPP over serial connection or if I'm waiting for it to download via sat and then have the "phone call" trigger the update.

I'm using Serial over PPP because of issues with VOIP, so I was wondering if it would make any difference for me to take it to a friends house to use POTS?

Thanks for any info.

9. pruittwh

pruittwh New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    C & D didn't help. Guess I'm stuck with 3.1.1 for a while until it decides to update. I'm dialing in repeatedly and having success with the PPP over serial connection.

I'm going to try and find an image for 6.2 or 6.3, but am stuck. My latest computer has no IDE connections and my old CPU had the motherboard die. Any suggestions on what to use when I need to rebuild my IDE drives for the TIVOs? Don't really want to use a PCI IDE card since I'd have to open the case each time to connect the drive.

10. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I don't know of any way you can image an IDE hard drive for a DTivo without opening the PC case and connecting it to the IDE cable. Takes maybe 5 mins to do all that, and it's not something you have to do often.

11. joneSi

joneSi New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Rereading what he said might clear this up; I believe that he was referring to the fact that he has no ide connectors on his current computer (none?!). I guess if he was going to try to use a linux boot cd, you'd need at least 1 connector for the CD drive, one for the hard drive, plus one for the tivo drive...

btw, no IDE available or none at all? I ask because I have a few boxes around my place one of those is an old intel p4 board that has 2 ide connectors. Real fun for trying to get your CD/DVD Drive hooked up along with the tivo IDE drive and the new tivo drive. I didn't have any luck with a SATA dvd burner booting on the linux boot cd, it errored out (drive problem)...I used a different computer to do my upgrades, but a pata connector shouldn't more than $20 at a local PC store, maybe even at BB or CC or Fry's or wherever.

With that said I think you can now use WinMFS with an external USB drive enclosure in windows for your tivo drive (note: this is assuming you have at least windows 2000 and some service packs, consider yourself warned). You might check out the forums at mfslive.org and ask around. Spike2005 here has been the driving force behind this software, and would be able to tell you with certainty if this would work.

Good luck,
    joneSi

12. pruittwh

pruittwh New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    My PC has no IDE connectors on the motherboard. It's a new Dell with only SATA connections. No, it's not difficult to take a case apart, but when you don't have ready access to the rear panel and you have to keep disconnecting cables that are zip tied throughout the desk, it's a little more difficult. I ended up buying a USB to IDE cable and power supply. Basically it's the same as a USB hard disk enclosure without the enclosure. I visited a friend with a DVR40 at 6.3. Using my laptop, a 2GB usb drive and the tivo drive from his box. I used MFSLive 1.3 (which detected the USB devices properly) and backed up his image. I then transfered this image to my drive and it's up and running. Doing a clear and delete now. Got the error #51 of course, so I'm just awaiting it to finish. Thanks for all the suggestions.

13. jdmac29

jdmac29 New Member

Aug 8, 2007

No, I ordered in online in August.
    dbstalk.com reported them available and some was on this thread also.
    I ordered for $77.00 and 3.99 shipping.

14. joneSi

joneSi New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Nicely done, glad it worked out. Keep all posted.

GL,
    joneSi