SD channel redirect to HD version: Why not?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jfischetti, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Dec 2, 2008 #1 of 21
    jfischetti

jfischetti New Member

Jan 3, 2000
    Manhattan, NY

Advertisements

I just got an HD TiVo and am making myself crazy as i choose the SD version of a channel rather than the HD version.

It would be great if TiVo would add functionality to designate a "channel redirect" for certain SD channels if entered to go to the HD version.

i.e I select channel 04 (NBC) and the Tivo Recognizes that i have a remap on that channel and sends me to the HD version 704 (NBCDT)

I'll be able to condition myself, but I foresee myself walking into the room and see my kids and/or wife watching the SD version of a channel we receive in HD.

i'll add this to the suggestion forum, but thought it makes to spur discussion in this area.

2. Dec 3, 2008 #2 of 21
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    There's really no way for TiVo to know they are the same. There are times when the HD version of a channel is not exactly the same as the SD version. I always uncheck the SD versions of channels in the channel listing. This keeps wishlists from picking up programs off of the SD channel. As for channel numbers, you just have to learn the HD channel numbers. For me, it took me quite a while, but now it is easy to remember after a couple of years.

3. Dec 3, 2008 #3 of 21
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    As alluded to above, you can remove the SD versions of all HD channels from Settings -> Channels -> Channels List. Channels you remove won't appear in the guide or search results, so you never have to worry about accidentally recording the wrong version of a program. Likewise, Suggestions and Wishlists will not record from channels you remove.

[​IMG]

You can also mark your favorites. Once you do that, press ENT while in the guide to select your favorites lineup. I have 40-50 channels in my [favorites] guide, which makes it easy to see what's on channels without a lot of scrolling.

Note: If you just got your TiVo, then it is still processing guide data in the background. It takes 2-3 days for the TiVo to process and index the initial guide data download, and changes you make to your Channel List during that time may not be reflected instantly in your guide. During this initial 2-3 day period, I've seen it take as much as 45-60 minutes for lineup changes to take effect in the guide and wishlists. You may wish to wait a few days before making those changes to avoid the frustration this can cause.

4. Dec 3, 2008 #4 of 21
    cableguy763

cableguy763 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    Just a thought: do you want your wife to be recording oprah in HD and taking up all the space? I think recording in sd does have it's place.

5. Dec 3, 2008 #5 of 21
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...

Advertisements

Rofl!! :)

For what it's worth, I could not tell you the channel numbers of 99% of the programming I record.

6. Dec 3, 2008 #6 of 21
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Yup, I often deliberately record the SD version.

7. Dec 3, 2008 #7 of 21
    ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I do this too. I wish there was an option on a wishlist to prefer HD or prefer SD though. As it stands now the only way to do this is to create a wishlist that requires the one version and place it above the wishlist with the other version :(

8. Dec 3, 2008 #8 of 21
    wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    I do not have enough free time to play the SD vs HD and recording space games. THAT's just crazy. Better to put in a 750GB drive and never worry about it again. Err, or not until the wife goes something crazy like tell it to record ALL episodes of Rachel Ray's nonsense... in HD... Solved by getting her a TivoHD of her own (without the big drive yet).

What I'd like to see is a channel table from the companies listing the SD next to the HD channels. But with all the my-package-is-bigger-than-your-package nonsense I doubt they'd ever do something so practical for their customers.

It gets even more annoying when dealing with premium channels where only some of the channels are available in HD. HBO, Starz, Cinemax, etc, all have a bajillion variations and not all are available in HD. Nor are they bunched together in numerical order.

At some point it'd be a welcome feature to have the ability to sort the Guide based on the 'Call Letters' of the stations. Meanwhile juggling "You Receive" and "Favorites" is about it.

9. Dec 3, 2008 #9 of 21
    Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    They need to add, a dont record from this channel as a feature. I created a "Christmas" wishlist, and it records stuff from Home shopping channel. Tivo needs to get with the program on some features.

10. NickIN

NickIN Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Indiana
    :eek: How do you stand this??? If it's available in HD...I want it displayed in HD! Even if it's Oprah....

11. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    You can do "don't record" now. Edit your Channel List and remove those channels from the list. If they're not on the Channel List then they won't be used for recordings. The first thing I do with a new Tivo, or when there's a line-up change, is to edit the Channel List. I remove all the shopping channels and any other stations I have no intention of ever watching.

But I hear you regarding the Christmas shows. Yikes but there's a lot of garbage in the "Holiday" or "Christmas" keyword searches.

12. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    I can think of 100 things worse than walking in on my wife or kids watching a show in SD that is available in HD.

13. jfischetti

jfischetti New Member

Jan 3, 2000
    Manhattan, NY

LOL. Great!

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I've been in the HD pool for a few days now and just getting used to it all.

All these ideas were great.

14. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Given how little time it takes, I have enough time. So... what's your point? That because you don't care about it, that no one should be able to do it? I don't begrudge you your perspective, if that is it -- I've been known to either promote or support a similar perspective for other things -- but let's at least be direct and clear about what we're saying here.

And let's not label things that other people consider important as "crazy" unless you intend to practice flame-baiting.

15. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    In the past, I've done this for Amazing Race, and for the Simpsons. I see no difference between the SD and HD versions (and shouldn't expect to, given that they're not HD programs, even though their networks present them at full HD bandwidth on their HD channels).

16. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    B/c some shows are still filmed in SD, and recording an SD show from an HD channel is a waste of disk space.

Another reason is for MRV speed. HD shows only transfer at slightly faster than realtime for me. So it is difficult to FF through commericals unless you wait for a decent buffer to fill up. A SD show will transfer much faster than realtime. For shows where the video quality isn't a huge deal (such as Oprah for the wife), the convenience of watching it quickly from any room outweighs the additional quality of HD.

17. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I don't think you've been using the HD portion of your Tivo HD for very long. Even a 1tb drive (~140 hours) fills up fast if you record shows in HD. Just think back for a moment to the S1 and S2 days. It was very common to have 250+ hours!

Any 4:3 content recorded in HD is just a waste of disk space. If the equivalent SD channel is in digital then theoretically it may have a better image since it doesn't have to go through a resolution change.

18. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Your (our) problem will be solved in February when there will no longer be analog SD versions of broadcast channels.

I wish there was a way to say record or prefer the HD version, though. The TiVo never records suggestions in HD.

19. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    If you are using an S3 or TivoHD with cable there should be no change in February. Even the one city that plans to go pure digital will still have SD DIGITAL basic cable.

20. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Oh yeah. You're right. We discussed that in the other thread.

I wonder if the cableco will keep the analog SD conversions of the digital channel in the same place as the old analog broadcast channels. I guess that's the plan.

I still say those won't last very long.