SD channel on D* HD equipment

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mike48, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Jan 2, 2006 #1 of 10
    mike48

mike48 New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Illinois

Advertisements

Using a D* HD PVR is it possible to output SD channels to your TV in better quality than the same channel would be output using D* SD PVR?

I had seen it said in one forum that an HD Box (but poster did not mention which box) would covert pretty much all channels, including SD channels, to better than 480i. I have seen it said elsewhere that all SD channels will be output at 480i whether you have the D* SD PVR or the D* HD PVR, so I am sort of confused. :confused:

2. Jan 2, 2006 #2 of 10
    pjdoogie

pjdoogie New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Having had a D* SD Tivo hooked to my new JVC HD TV for about a month before getting the HD Tivo, my opinion is that the SD quality looks the same. Where you get an improvement is with OTA. When the the picture is SD it blows away the D* PQ of the same show.

3. Jan 2, 2006 #3 of 10
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    No, the HR10-250 doesn't do anything "extra" special to the SD channels to make them look any better.

4. Jan 2, 2006 #4 of 10
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    mike as doogie says, ota is great. If you are able to get ota, it's well worth the upgrade to the HDtivo for that alone. Even SD stuff like survivor and apprentice are MUCH better in SD OTA than on directv. I even don t mind the SD stuff ota taking up more tivo space than DTV SD.

5. Jan 2, 2006 #5 of 10
    btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...

Advertisements

It does output them over component (or HMDI), SD looks a little better because of that.

6. Jan 3, 2006 #6 of 10
    flmgrip

flmgrip New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    los angeles, CA
    no

7. Jan 3, 2006 #7 of 10
    btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    You're making very difinitive statements recently, would you care to elaborate. SD output on Component does look better than SD over composite or S-Video.

8. Jan 3, 2006 #8 of 10
    flmgrip

flmgrip New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    los angeles, CA
    did some assign you the task to tackle and police all my statements ? just like i told you in the other post, go knock yourself out, but it's a waste of bandwidth.

yes i will. just for you.

i have the 10-250 hocked up to my TV with HDMI and the dvr120 with s-video. i am playing back the same SD programming on both tivo's. and switching back and forth between the two tivos I do not see any difference on MY TV in MY opinion between the two.
    i am sure if you take a meter you might see some improvement on paper. BUT I DO NOT see any difference. and that's ME on MY tv's and NOT ON ANYONE elses TV.

THIS IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC STATEMENT, just my opinion and personal experience. (but i did also read some other people making the same statement, which of course is also only ones person opinion on one tv)

i just want to avoid someone buying a 10-250, believing that their will be a SIGNIFICANT improvement in pic quality in SD programming. because there is not, regardless of the input.

9. Jan 3, 2006 #9 of 10
    btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    Well, now I know what you mean. (And so does anyone else reading this thread.)

When I switched from an HDVR2, using S-Video to an HR10-250 using component, I did notice an increase in picture quality. The colour seemed to be better, and there are sound technical reasons why this should be.

I didn't say it was significant (or even SIGNIFICANT), I even said it was "a little better". It may also help me see the difference that my TV seems to have the worst S-Video implimentation in the world. (S-Video has a particularly nasty artifact on a lot of Panasonic Plasma displays.)

10. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Edited to delete comment, and add:

I now see your later post

"I DO NOT see any difference. and that's ME on MY tv's and NOT ON ANYONE elses TV."

Now I understand. I thought you were saying that component video was not better than s-video, but you're just saying you don't see it; perfectly valid.