Scrubs rewatch podcast!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Mar 31, 2020.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Eeeaagle!

Zach Braff and Donald Faison, Drs. John "JD" Dorian and Christopher Duncan Turk themselves, have launched a Scrubs rewatch podcast.

‎Fake Doctors, Real Friends with Zach and Donald on Apple Podcasts

First episode is out now. I have the first six (?) seasons on DVD, so I can watch along per episode, but I wish there were a digital box set available. I'd prefer not to re-buy individual seasons.

No idea if this will be any good, but I hope so. They're both engaging guys and, as the title says, are real-life friends. Should be fun.

2. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Haha, I was just coming to post about this. I've subscribed and I'm going to join the rewatch. Looks like the entire series is on Hulu.

3. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I knew I was in anyway, but when they burst into the podcast themesong in the first 10 seconds I was really in. I've listened to the first half of the debut episode so far. It's fun. They've dropped some good trivia already, too.

One issue with the show in the digital era has been all the music it licensed for broadcast and disc. Most of that wasn't licensed for streaming and so a lot of presentations of the show have the original songs replaced with similar, but different music. Most of the replacements I've heard have not been as good. Braff confirmed in this first episode that Hulu does not have the original music in all episodes. The only sources that do are the DVD's and iTunes digital versions.

4. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Probably just talking to myself here -- I dug out my season one DVDs and watched the pilot before resuming the podcast episode. Man, it has been a long time since I watched that.

5. Apr 1, 2020 #5 of 21
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I might check this out. I have a couple of seasons on DVD and have watched the reruns when they ran them on Comedy Central. Could be fun. I think the show still holds up well.

6. Apr 1, 2020 #6 of 21
    Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Scrubs is one of those shows I loved, but I rarely re-watch TV shows. This podcast is the perfect excuse for me to watch it again. I've heard of other re-watch podcasts, but they've never been for a show I really liked.

As to the music, I don't really care. Sure I'd like it to be the original music, but I'm not going to buy the series on iTunes or DVD just to have the original music.

7. Apr 1, 2020 #7 of 21
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Scrubs was a show I really loved - well, until near the end where it went a bit sideways what with much of the cast moving on and being replaced. I think I have the DVDs or BR, not sure, for the majority of the series.

I don't do podcasts but I thought they were audio only.

8. Apr 1, 2020 #8 of 21
    Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't know that there is video. The podcast is just them talking about the episode.

9. Apr 9, 2020 #9 of 21
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Watched the second episode of season 1 and then listened to this week's recap pod. I'm really enjoying the podcast so far. This is going to be something pleasant to look forward to each week, for however long they keep it up. Zach and Donald occasionally digress into side stories that maybe are more interesting to them, but the guys are so genial that I haven't minded. And they break into song a lot, which I enjoy. :)

The only bad thing about this is that since it's corporately-produced by iHeart, it now has a ton of really terrible ads in it.

10. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Definitely a favorite and thanks to TiVo I eventually watched everyone! I'll definitely check out the podcast.

11. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Here's my tenuous at best connections to the show.

My brother went to Brown Medical School during the early 2000s. Somehow we got talking about Scrubs and he related to me various Brown Medical School connections to Show. I don't remember all the details, but he told me the characters were based on real people and he went though describing who was who and at which facility where they worked and things like that. I did a little digging and I found the commencement speech by the person J. D. was based on. It's titled "My Residency Is a Re-run."

03-138d (Jonathan Doris, M.D.)

Here is the relevant part.

Also coincidentally my son lived around the corner from the abandoned hospital where they filmed at least some of the show in Sherman Oaks, CA. He lived on Coldwater Canyon and the abandoned hospital was on Riverside. On the corner of Coldwater and Riverside is a fairly well known casual restaurant called Hugo's. One time while eating there Zach Braff was sitting at the table next to us.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  12. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Bill Lawrence was a guest on episode 3 this week and talked a lot about the real JD and what he's doing now.

13. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    This week's episode had Sarah Chalke. Listened to it while walking the dog. It was a very long walk. I'm enjoying it a lot.

The problem it's I don't have the box set. I watched the first 5 episodes on YouTube (they come in 4-5 chunks, so it's a bit awkward), so after the next podcast I will be a little lost.

14. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    We actually got a double run this week. Bill Lawrence in one and Sarah Chalke in the next. The Lawrence one was really enjoyable. I've only listened to the first few minutes of the Chalke one but it started out sounding like it was going to be an equally good time. I'm looking forward to getting into it on tomorrow's dog walks.

15. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I believe it's on Hulu. If you're not a subscriber, worst case you could sign up for the free 30-day trial and binge as much as you can.

16. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    If I happened to have a bunch of free cloud storage and happened to post the link to where the shows could be found, would anybody object to that?

17. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm in Canada, so no Hulu for me :(

Might be able to find the box set on Kijiji.

18. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I've no idea, obviously, for how long, or how often, we'll get more than one episode per week, but the doubles the last couple of weeks have been just wonderful for this moment in time. I get a little happy feeling seeing a new episode land in my podcast app. This is a delightful listen.

19. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    They mentioned on the podcast that they are doing two per week (but Donald hides out in his room as if they are doing it daily).

20. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN