Scrubs 1/17: "My New God" and "My Missed Perception" (spoilers for both)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Jan 17, 2006.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

I thought "My New God" was only sporadically funny, although I loved the bear attack ("Having a baby is not the worst consequence of sex!") and Buddha to Jesus: "Where do you get your loincloths?"

However, "My Missed Perception" was gold almost all the way through. Four-story turbo wedgie = 10 on the pain scale: genius! The final shot, the 2005 photograph, no doubt featured the entire Scrubs cast and crew and almost made me sad, like they did it because they suspect the end is near. Let's hope not.

2. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    What was the song at the end of "My New God"?

Edit: Just Googled a line of lyrics and found out that it's called "In the Sun" by Joseph Arthur. Unfortunately, it's only available on iTunes as part of a soundtrack album for Showtime's "The 'L' Word." :rolleyes:

3. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Gary Busey!!!!

4. TeeSee

TeeSee Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!

Jan 16, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I totally agree about the second episode. That was great. Turk had me in stiches when he was screaming because of the brain freeze. Such a smart, witty show and THAT is what set me off! :D

The first ep was just OK. It's always nice to see Cheryl Hines (No way she made that shot without some trick to it. ;)), but that bit about them being beaten by their father was kind of intense for this show. Have they ever made reference to it before?

Man, doesn't Gary Busey look bad. He looked like, well... Gary Busey.

5. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003

Advertisements

The Gary Busey cameo was hilarious. This show really knows how to do cameos. :)

6. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Banana hammock wedgie!
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I suspect this is the case. The not so great treatment from NBC and the fact it's too smart for a number of viewers.
    I periodically drive by the Scrub filming location and there are signs next to the property indicating that something else will be there next year (condos, I think).

7. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    Don't get me wrong; I love this show. I have every episode on a media server:

Is it me or is JD's acting a little "Hammy" this season. Doesn't seem to be up to his normal easy going style. Almost seems forced......

Sad as since he's the central character it seems to be bringing the show down for me. The rest of the cast is still spot on, and the writing is still great also.

Gary Busy, and janitor's "no bannana hammocks" sign was the best here imo.....

Oh well, just my 2 cents. I'll still watch them all....

8. Artfreak

Artfreak New Member

May 19, 2005
    Zach Braff said during an interview at the Golden Globes that while he would love the show to stay at NBC, ABC had expressed interest in buying the show. So even if it doesn't stick around for NBC, chances are it will continue elsewhere.

9. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    Loved em both although the first episode had it's akward moments. I like how Scrubs focuses on the jokes while slipping in some character development.

Super four story hyper atomic banana hammock wedgie. SO painful. Good stuff. :up:

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I liked both episodes. I'm just glad to have this show back. I loved that Janitor had JD helping him "move" and it was really just a prank.

As for the cast picture, you'd think that even though they made the ep in 2005, they would have digitally fixed the sign to say 2006 since that's when the ep aired.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I think that would have been too hard because of Carla's past pictures...the last one was 2004. I guess they could have altered them all, but it probably just wasn't worth it...

12. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    It's not you; I've noticed the exact same thing. Braff is doing a lot of overacting this season for some reason.

13. jwjody

jwjody Not enough room

Dec 7, 2002
    Center of...
    Was that what it was? I only caught the part about when Cox sees his sister he's reminded of when they were little. I missed the stuff about the dad and thought his sister had done horrible things to him or something.

J

14. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    Yea he Cox made a comment about getting thrown across the room by his father.

15. NoThru22

NoThru22 Smelly Pirate Hooker

May 6, 2005
    Bel Air, MD
    The second episode (the 149th) was the first episode written by a guy who used to contribute stories to Ain't It Cool News. It was a little out of the show's normal realm of reality (which is way out there to begin with) but I enjoyed it a lot and look forward to more of his scripts. My friend did notice that they had gone away from much of the fantasy sequences this year and it was nice to have an episode that had a lot of them back.

16. Mike Farrington

Mike Farrington Lost Member

Nov 16, 2000
    I've definitely noticed this as well. It's like they were off for so long that he forgot how the character was portrayed. He's way to hammy/sthicky now.

17. bentleyml

bentleyml Unregistered User

May 21, 2003
    Moore...
    I loved both episodes, but my favorite bit was the Indiana Turk(alton :D ) bit and the Colon of Doom. :D

18. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I think some of it is OK. He's a peer of Dr. Cox's now and I think the character would naturally overcompensate for the nominal change in their relationship by behaving that way. Unfortunately he is behaving that way with everyone else, too.

19. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    I have noticed J.D. and Cox are communicating on more of a peer level now, especially in the second episode.

20. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

I only find it annoying when he's dealing with his interns. He comes across as extremely pompous.