screwy cards

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by croft1972, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1 of 11
    croft1972

croft1972 New Member

Sep 23, 2007

Advertisements

Last weekend Cablevision came out and installed 4 CCs. 2 in a THD and 2 in a S3. THD had no probs, the S3 had a bad card. Since he only brought 4 cards, he need to schedule another visit. After he left. I lost all channels except 2-22 on the THD. Called Cablevision and the sent the Auth codes to all Cards. Nothing worked. 1 day later all the channels on the THD came on, but cards both said Waiting CP Auth.

Cablevision make out yesterday and swapped out the other card in the S3 ( all channels and cards work fine in S3 now).

I asked him about the other one saying Awaiting CP Auth. He said that as long as your getting all the channels not to worry.

Well 2 hrs after he left, I can get any channels between 300-400 ( HBOs, Shos, etc) Everytime I switch to one of those channels, it shows for 3 secs then switched to the Diagn page.

Anyone else come accross this prob?

2. Nov 4, 2007 #2 of 11
    pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    This means that your cards are not paired (or validated). See this FAQ from TiVo and it will show you what the cableCARD diagnostic screen should look like.

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/LaunchContent.aspx?CID=f8f40dc6-5fb6-4ed8-ac41-d8cd0d5c0824

3. Nov 4, 2007 #3 of 11
    croft1972

croft1972 New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Thanks, They are comming out tomorrow to look into this.

Its crazy, I still receive 750 ( HBO-HD) and now 320 and higher work fine.

Thanks again.

4. Nov 4, 2007 #4 of 11
    pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    99% of the time (I'm willing to bet) it's the cableco's entries. They have to enter 4 id numbers in to 2 of their computers for each cableCARD to work. One screw-up, and it won't work properly. I had a perfectly fine TiVo for 9 months. I add a second pair of cableCARDs to a second TiVo and by the time the tech left, both TiVo's were screwed up. Long story short, they removed the pairing on one of the cableCARDs from my existing account. I'm guessing they mixed them up when entering the pairing info. And of course, the cablecos HATE TiVo, which doesn't help any.

5. Nov 4, 2007 #5 of 11
    cableguy763

cableguy763 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin

Advertisements

In my system, the phone techs have to only enter the host ID into one computer. Unfortunately, sometimes they do screw it up :eek: . As far as cable co's hating Tivo, I have to disagree. If a customer buys an S3 or HD, they are pretty much going to subscribe to a level of cable service for a long time. Sure, they would love to rent you their own dvr, but they still love the fact that you are a subscriber and paying them every month. Just my opinion.

6. Nov 4, 2007 #6 of 11
    pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Maybe the Company, but the techs hate it because it causes them the most headache. That's what the Super told me. Then add on the fact that the regular techs are clueless and the CSR's are clueless, and all the calls are for TiVos with cableCARDs. He said cableCARDs with TV's are fine. And, just so you know, I'm with you. I try to tell CSR's all the time, if it weren't for TiVo, I'd be with a satco.

EDIT: Plus, now cablecos must use cableCARDs in their new STB's. But that didn't phase the Supervisor Tech, since they will have full control over it's production. And as he continued to complain about TiVo, it was totally their own people at Comcast who screwed up.

7. Nov 4, 2007 #7 of 11
    cableguy763

cableguy763 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    You are absolutely correct that techs hate cable cards. From my experience though, I love working on Tivo's. The diagnostics they give, the quickness that they pair with the cards and receive the channels is leaps and bounds ahead of any TV with cablecards that I have worked on.

8. Nov 4, 2007 #8 of 11
    pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    And you know, in EVERY issue I've had with Comcast and my TiVo, it was their operator error. The tech was even shaking his head saying "I told the kid it had to be entered into the DAC." And, of course he didn't do it, so we had another 45 min. on hold. All their fault, but no, TiVo's the problem, NOT.

9. Nov 4, 2007 #9 of 11
    cableguy763

cableguy763 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    I definitely hear you. Happens so much it's like a broken record :eek: . It's not exactly rocket science. It's listening and typing. I have to use the "bang head on wall" sign quite often.

10. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Let me ask. Do you think a two way solution, like the SDV dongle, maybe even using the SDV dongle, might be a future solution?

11. cableguy763

cableguy763 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    Yes, but it will be up to tivo to make it. It is going to be a tough task with having to work with Motorola and SA to make it work for everyone and pass Cable Labs certs. I certainly hope they can do this soon.