screen reader behavior in TiVo Experience 4?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Tipperton, May 16, 2020.

1. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    So far I have been avoiding upgrading my TiVo Bolt DVR to Experience 4 because I could see no real difference between it and Experience 3 from the viewpoint of a blind user and the screen reader. Recently I was told by a TiVo support representative that the screen reader in Experience 4 doesn't check for activation as it does in Experience 3 before it reads anything on the screen. This has been one of my pet peves with TiVo for quite a while and if it is true would be reason enough for me to go ahead and upgrade to Experience 4.

Is there anyone out there that can confirm or deny this? It should be easy enough to test, you would need a TiVo Bolt running Experience 4 just to be sure there are no behavioral differences between DVR models. First you would turn on the screen reader, 1 long press of the 'A' key on the remote will toggle it on or off, then browse around in your shows list to satisfy yourself that the screen reader is working. Now disconnect your Bolt from your network, this is easiest if you use ethernet instead of WiFi to connect your Bolt to your network. Now browse around the 'My Shows' list to see if the screen reader still works. Now let me know what you discovered.

And don't forget to reconnect your Bolt back up to your network and to turn off the screen reader if you don't need it.

Thanks!

2. Gary Hicks

Gary Hicks New Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Tipperton --

I have a TiVO Bolt running Experience 4 with a hardwired network connection. I did my best to follow your test request. Specifically:
    1. Hold down the "A" button for two seconds. TiVO announced that screen reader was on.
    2. Go to Browse Menu. As I scrolled from show to show the screen reader would read out loud the text of the entry.
    3. Disconnected my network cable.
    4. Go to Browse Menu. As I scrolled from show to show the screen reader would read out loud the text of the entry.
    5. Rebooted TiVO (just for fun!).
    6. Go to Browse Menu. As I scrolled from show to show the screen reader would read out loud the text of the entry.
    7. Reconnected my network cable.
    8. Go to Browse Menu. As I scrolled from show to show the screen reader would read out loud the text of the entry.
    9. Hold down the "A" button for two seconds. TiVO announced that screen reader was off.
    10. Go to Browse Menu. As I scrolled from show to show the screen reader would NOT read out loud the text of the entry.
    If you want any other testing done, feel free to contact me.

Good luck!

Gary Hicks

Tipperton likes this.
  3. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Very kind of you Gary. You more than earned your badge for today.

4. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    Gary;

Wow! That was just what I needed, and then some, thank you very much! That step of rebooting was a nice touch, I would be willing to guess that that means that the screen reader would be available during the initial setup phase in Experience 4.

Although I have heard that Experience 4 has some drawbacks when compared to Experience 3, I believe that I can live with those drawbacks if it means that I will have a screen reader that isn't tied to decent internet performance to function properly.

5. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    Man am I ever glad that I decided to listen to my inner paranoid and decided to do the upgrade to e4 on a spare Bolt DVR instead of my DVR that I use on a daily basis because.

Despite what Gary says, what he reports is not what I am finding to be the case. After upgrading to E4 I found that just like in E3, the screen reader is still dependant on the DVR being activated before it will function which means there has to be a live internet connection, as soon as I unplug the DVR from my network by removing the ethernet cable, the screen reader stops working. Even worse, the screen reader in e4 is far worse than in e3, it is not uncommon for the screen reader to not pronounce one or more lines requiring you to navigate away from, then back to the item to hopefully get the screen reader to read it properly.

I already know that it is useless to contact TiVo about this because I've been told by TiVo themselves that they do not care about equal accessability for all and that the only reason that there is even a screen reader in the TiVo DVRs is to try to make it look like they are in compliance with the CVAA. I was told that they do not bother to test the screen reader to make sure that it is functioning properly, nor do they even bother to attempt to resolve any problems with the screen reader. So it's not much of a surprise that the screen reader in e4 is worse than the screen reader in e3.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 3:41 PM