Screen goes black

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by dmmoney, Jun 10, 2020.

1. dmmoney

dmmoney New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Hi all,

I have a new issue that started recently and has stumped TiVo support, Samsung support, and myself. I have a samsung 4K tv and Tivo bolt. A few days ago the picture was cutting out and the screen would go black with the tv displaying “no signal.” this would happen every few minutes but now it’s permanent where I have no signal at all.

here’s what I’ve tried / eliminated
    1) moved box to a diff tv (older Samsung 1080p tv- box worked fine with no loss of signal)
    2) new HDMI cable - didn’t work
    3) moved the box to a different input. This didn’t work (note that my other devices work fine, including on the input the TiVo box is typically on)
    4) I can access the box through the TiVo app on my phone and watch recordings so I think the hdd is fine

Any ideas? Thank you!

2. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    A bit similar but not nearly as bad. Bought a Vizio 4K TV. Use with multiple Tivos, some through receiver, one (a Bolt) direct to TV input. Occasionally, no way to predict when, the picture will cut out for 2-3 seconds, then come back. Actually picture and sound for the Tivos that start off at the receiver, the Bolt just the picture as the sound is output to the receiver through an optical cable (receiver is not 4K). I thought it was the TV, ended up exchanging it for same model. But the new one does the same thing. Thought it might be the model itself. But there is a thread in the forums here about multiple brand and model TVs having the same problem. So it appears to be something with Tivos and some 4K TVs. If you search the forums you might be able to find the thread, one of the possible solutions was to change the output of the Tivo and let the TV do the upscaling. None of this may apply to you since you've lost picture completely............ Some other similarities though, other devices work fine, cables did not matter, I bought some of the best CERTIFIED HDMI cables, no difference and never had this problem with any other TVs my Tivos were used with, only the 4K. Suppose it could be a setting on TV too though I tried most variations and none seemed to solve it. Good luck, maybe look for the 2-3 second thread to see everything they recommended, maybe try the different output settings on the Bolt for now, there are fixed and auto type settings.

3. dmmoney

dmmoney New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Thank you! Luckily after swapping the cable (again) I got a picture that would cut out every few minutes (instead of complete loss of signal), then I changed my resolution to 1080i and that seemed to fix it

tommage1 likes this.
  4. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I just checked my settings on the Bolt, I have fixed 4K. There is also an HDR setting, auto or off. Don't know if I ever changed that, it was auto, turned it off for now. The other Tivos going through the receiver, they are Roamios, set to 1080P fixed. And receiver set to 1080P fixed (it's max). They all have the 2-3 blackout problem too so don't think it's just Bolt settings, really have no clue. Last thing to try is one of the new 8K HDMI 2.1 cables. Many being sold are fakes, I think Monoprice has a real one, up to 8 feet. Was thinking of buying one just to see if it makes a difference. They call them "Dynamic View", 48Gbps, the new HDMI 2.1 standard though not "certified" yet.

Monoprice DynamicView Ultra 8K Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 48Gbps, 8K, Dynamic HDR, eARC, 6ft Black - Monoprice.com

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  5. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Ah, I will try the 1080i myself :) On the Roamios and receiver too.

6. dmmoney

dmmoney New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    it still doesn't make a lot of sense why this is happening all of the sudden. maybe a Tivo update? when i called them they didn't mention that

7. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    There was a recently update (TE4, not TE3). Did not change anything for me. Your situation seems unique, my issue and what the other people were having is the 2-3 second thing. Unless you have lousy/older HDMI cables, there are good number of versions. I am testing my Bolt with the 1080i fixed setting. Am also going to order a couple of those 48Gbps HDMI cables from Monoprice, see if they get rid of the 2-3 sec blackouts with the fixed 4K setting. They are pretty cheap. You can read about the new HDMI 2.1 standard at:

HDMI specification 2.1 - HDMI

My 4K TV technically should not need it however at 4K it says the refresh rate is 120Hz, these new cables may be needed for 4K@120Hz. If you decide to try one I definitely recommend the Monoprice cable, I've seen MANY fakes, claim to be 48Gbps/Ultra 8K/HDMI 2.1 but are really just 18Gbps (or less). If yours are old might be less than 18Gbps, could be why you get complete blackout.

8. dmmoney

dmmoney New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Thanks! ill try that cable. I've tried 3 different cables with the same result, but maybe they are just old/lousy

9. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    If you look at the cables themselves (not where they plug in, actually on the cable) some will have words etc, might be able to see what versions you have. About a year ago the best you could get was the 18Gbps, I bought hoping they would get rid of the 2-3 sec blackouts, they did not. I figure why not try the latest and greatest, 48Gbps a LOT more than 18Gbps.

10. dmmoney

dmmoney New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    I got that mono price cable and set the resolution back to “auto” and it seems to be working. So maybe the cable helped? Who knows

tommage1 likes this.
  11. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    I find it's usually the cable. Cheaper is better but check for "working good" reviews! HDCP with new TVs and AVRs has really messed things up for honest TV watchers!

12. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Wow that was quick, you must be close to them, mine arriving Tuesday. That cable should be able to handle any TV in the foreseeable future, even 4K@120Hz or 8K@60Hz native. Hope it solves my issue too, still got the 2-3 sec blackouts with 1080i setting, HDR on auto. I am now testing fixed 4K output with HDR turned off on the Tivo while I wait for my cables. Thanks for update.