Screen goes black

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Bill99, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Bill99

Bill99 Member

Dec 31, 2003
    I posted a message earlier today about a "welcome. powering up" problem.

This is a new problem with my mom's R10.

She says the screen goes black - no searching for satellie message - no buttons on remote work. I have her unplug/replug and it boots back up. It's done this about 4 times over the past week or so.

Could this be hard drive. I'm going to order a new drive from Weeknees for the "welcome. powering up" problem, and may as well get 2 if the black screen problem is the disk.

Thanks for your help.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Could be an overheating problem.

Check its temperature on the system information screen.

3. Bill99

Bill99 Member

Dec 31, 2003
    I started checking the temp recently. The R10 is in a small cabinet with an opening in back (no other heat producing components in there). Highest I've seen it is 44C. However, she's 89 years old and I've been guessing she keeps the house hot until before I show up when she lowers the temp. And it's in the high 90's here the last couple of weeks. So she could be getting up close to 50C maybe?

I'll have her keep the glass front doors open on the cabinet - she did that for a week and no problem. They're closed again now and the problem returned. I'm going to get her to give me the temp over the phone just to see what it is when I'm not there.

Thanks, Jim, for the heads up.

4. Dante101

Dante101 ...in between dreams

Aug 1, 2003
    Fullerton, CA
    Did you ever find out what the problem was? Did the Tivo finally break down or anything? This just happened to my 4-month old Premiere...

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Is the box going into "Standby" mode? Does pressing the TiVo/DirecTV button do anything?

6. Dante101

Dante101 ...in between dreams

Aug 1, 2003
    Fullerton, CA
    It was very strange. Happened last night around 12:15am. I was checking various programs in my "Now Playing" list, watching some and deleting others. (This is in the SD menu, as I have an old TV).

Suddenly after deleting a show, I was brought back to the NP menu, but there was a black background (instead of the normal animated menu background). The text was there, just no background.

I could click on various shows in my NP list, but when I played them there was no program -- just a blank screen with the play bar being empty at the bottom of the screen. No picture or sound. Hitting the left arrow to return to the NP list, I would get the "do you want to delete" message.

I tried this with a few videos and got the same result.

I went to live TV and the guide data was fine, but there was no video or audio -- just a black screen. Other than that, there was no hesitations or anything.

"Jimmy Kimmel" was being recorded during all this. I tried the "standby" button in the main menu, and then turned the Tivo back on again. Still the same black screen. I went to YouTube and tried to watch various videos. Same problem as when I tried watching programs from my NP list -- instead of the video starting, I would get a blank play bar at the bottom and no audio or video.

I gave up and restarted the Tivo using the menu option (nothing was hanging or stuck, so I didn't have to unplug it). After the restart everything was hunky dory again. The Kimmel recording stopped right when the black screen problem started (rather than when I restarted 10 minutes later).

Haven't had this happen before, and I hope it doesn't happen again.

The only thing new to my system is a new Ooma telco device hooked up to my computer network. Hopefully this isn't causing some new problem.

Anyway, I know this thread is old, but just wondering if they ever found out what happened in their case when they got a black screen (if the hard drive failed soon after or if the problem never happened again, etc)...

7. Bill99

Bill99 Member

Dec 31, 2003
    I brought my mom's DVR home and tried it. Same problem, so it wasn't the heat. But I never did find the problem.