Screen goes black when launching an App

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Met72, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Met72

Met72 New Member

Aug 16, 2020

Advertisements

I have multiple TiVo Bolts, occasionally when launching an App (Netflix/Amazon) the screen goes black and the only way to reset the box is to unplug. Once rebooted the App in question launches correctly. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? I haven’t been able to find any common occurrence that may trigger the issue.

2. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    Whenever the screen goes black with any device is almost due to the HDMI cable. When this has happened to me in the past, I've changed the HDMI cable and it's been corrected. The TiVo Bolts seem to be very picky when it comes to HDMI handshake issues though. I have an issue where it's either black or has no audio when I first turn it on. I have an HDMI splitter between the TiVo and the AVR that I use and disconnect and reconnect when this happens and it usually corrects this. It happens quite frequently though at about 5 times a week.

3. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    I've seen the exact same behavior on my Bolt, Roamio, and Mini VOX. If i wait long enough, the box will reboot itself. Otherwise, a "pull the plug/restart" solves the problem. Seems like it used to happen more often.

4. rfa5

rfa5 New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Well it was actually a relief when I saw that others were having this problem. Several times when I went to launch You Tube I got the black screen and the only way out seemed to unplug the Bolt. I was thinking it was Tivo's way of telling me to look at the Edge sale ending soon! I don't know if it's related or not but when I rebooted the Bolt it seemed to be hung up rebooting...it would have a screen of snow and make some noises. Again the way out was to unplug and try again. At that time it rebooted to normal and all was well.

5. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...

Advertisements

Happened again this morning on my Bolt: I launched Prime Video and the screen went black, app didn't come up. A few minutes later the box rebooted itself, and then Prime Video worked as it is supposed to. I've filed one ticket on this issue and the response was something like "sounds like a hardware issue maybe you should exchange it". Since I've seen this also happen on my Roamio and Mini VOX I don't think the hardware is the problem. At this point, I've now gone OTA and I'm not looking to move to a newer TiVo that restricts me to either cable OR antenna (the boxes I have now give me a choice to use either).

Does TiVo have the ability to look at the logs from my box if I file a ticket? If so, I could give them the time that it happened - although I'm not really expecting much out of TiVo support. I guess I'll ride this hardware out until it dies or becomes obsolete, and then look at other solutions.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo has the ability, but you may have a problem finding someone who understands them. There's a ton of information. You can put a place marker in the log to flag an event also. I gave up on TiVo's support long ago.

7. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Another thread on this on help forum. I only have this problem with Prime not Netflix. Yesterday Prime actually worked for the first time in a while.

8. Nels

Nels New Member

May 20, 2008
    This happens to me all the time when using the Prime App. Netflix once in a while, but much less. I have a connected TV so when that happens I just go around the TiVo and use the App on the TV which always works.

9. gantt

gantt Slightly Worse-For-Wear Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Just happened to me. Hadn't happened in a while. I had pretty much resolved to stop using the Bolt for streaming and was just getting comfortable with it again. Since it comes and goes and doesn't seem uncommon on this forum, my guess is it's a TiVo software issue. Not sure I would trust their streaming product if they can't get their top-of-the-line Bolt to work reliably.

10. JohnRM

JohnRM New Member

Jan 28, 2018
    This has been happening to me for weeks now, when starting the Plex app. Today was the first time that the Bolt rebooted itself. My guess it is the Tivo software.