Screen format HD to SD

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cwl, Aug 14, 2007.

1. cwl

cwl New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Ok, finnaly got my OTA HD working...

Now, trying to fix the screen format. I don't subscribe to the HD package I was really only interested in the OTA HD for the moment. (might change after I get used to HD)

When I have the Unit in 1080i the screen goes to widescreen and cuts the top and bottom, and when I'm watching a regular SD program it keeps the widescreen format and squishes the picture. I've played with the video settings, set it to 4:3 and Pan&scan but I have to manually swich back to 480i when watching regular SD.

Is there a way to keep it in 1080i and it display SD normally and HD without manually changing the settings?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Not that I have found, but then I have an HDTV. :)

Have you tried all combinations with the HR10 and the TV?

3. Eben

Eben New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    What type of TV is the connected to? Brand, model, etc.?

4. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I suspect there's a setting in your TV that is doing this, perhaps automatically based on input.

phox

5. cwl

cwl New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    I have a 36" Sony Wega Trinitron

6. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    That's an older set with a 4:3 CRT? (I think), which might have something to do with it (my 2004 16:9 Sony has no such issues). That's also probably why the HR10 has so many output choices and puts them on the remote--so that it can be as compatible as possible to older or non-standard technology.

There's probably a setting combo that will either work or minimize the problem. If not, probably time for a trip to BB.