Screen 'cropping'

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by Buzby, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland

Advertisements

Just noticed this as my list of recorded shows lengthens... is there an issue with the screen size? (as far as the Tivo display is concerned?).

On the S1 you always got a scroll arrow to show when there were more titles than would fit on screen. On my TiVo - correctly set up for 16:9, has the titles falling off the bottom of the screen, and cosmetically it looks a complete mess.

Anyone else having the same issue?

2. Cata

Cata New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    It looks like it's a standard part of the interface. You'll see the same approach if you search for shows and have a long list to choose from.

3. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    Confused me to start with.. it's supposed to be clever I think. Just looks wrong IMO.

4. Mimizuku no Lew

Mimizuku no Lew Rattus Sapiens

Jan 3, 2011
  5. Digital Fanatic

Digital Fanatic Virgin Media Staff

Feb 16, 2011

Advertisements

you get used to it... I don't think it looks a "mess" though :D

6. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland
    OK then, 'unprofessional'. It certainly isn't a 'tidy' solution - just a consequence of a carp implementation when previously, they had taken care over screen esthetics.

7. JayAy

JayAy New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I agree - I've never seen a good UI developed by a freshwater fish:D:D:D

8. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    To me it looks like they went to a lot of trouble over the screen aesthetics. That fading-out effect didn't happen on its own. They've made it obvious that there is more content than will fit on the screen, and it's also space-efficient, which adding scroll bars or arrows might not be.

It took getting used to. The only real flaw for me was that it wasn't immediately obvious that I could scroll; I thought it was clipped and the extra content lost. You soon figure it out when cursoring down, though, and once you realise you don't forget.

9. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland
    I s'pose we'll never know the real answer. The 'fading' (to me) jusr comes across as a 'anything outwith the lower border should be dimmed' - but then, if genuinely the case, shouldn't the upper section - once the scrolling has taken place ALSO be dimmed, to be consistent? This would give the appearance that it was planned that way and not a mistake?

If I see any line of text horizontally truncated, I immediately conclude the screen is incorrectly set up (which it isn't). As the background explosion in a red paint factory is consistent across all screens, they got that bit right, but I'm just not a fan of these split text lines, faded or otherwise!

10. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    No, because that's the stuff you want to see.

I have never thought if it as a mistake and - with respect - cannot see how anyone could.

11. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland
    So, stuff symmetry and introduce a visual interpretation that has half-screens of unreadable text (due to horizontal trunkation and dimming)?

Perhaps it is a subjective argument, but to my mind where on-screen text should be clear and respected so that it can be read (as it was with the S1's)

I simply don't believe this is progress, as I cannot see what the benefit can be, other than to squeeze in a dimmed half-line of unreadable text!

12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Most of it is readable; certainly 99% of it. As Brangdon said in his post, it's a way to do without the scroll-bars/up-and-down-arrows or some other indication that there is more text available than can fit on the screen.

Like I said, I think it works nicely.

13. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland
    I'll agree there is less end-of-line cutting with the usual ... added, but this is attribututed to the high-res screen and smaller typeface permitting more characters to be displayed. But this isn't my beef - as lines don't drifet off any of the other three sides of the frame, allowing it to happen to one is perverse IMO, but then - I always liked a screen to be completely readable, not force user action to take additional action to read or view it.

As for space for scroll bars, I dislike them, but I doubt this was the reason, a typeface colour change could impart the same informatin to the viewer.

I'm glad you find it lovely, as an S1 user, it irritates the pants off me. At least there are no V+ banners competing for space.... yet.

14. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    Think if the list scrolled as soon as you hit the bottom item then it would feel seamless ... problem is that it takes a second or two before the list redisplays with the next set of titles so (at least for me) the impression is that you've scrolled down through the list of items onto something that you should be able to see but for some reason has fallen off the bottom of the screen. Just doesn't feel intuitive.

15. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    So only one page of information ever? Rather difficult with all the data a Tivo uses, wouldn't you say?

Then there's be complaints of "why is some text a different colour"? :)

Of course, I too am a former S1 user ;)

That's what the Discovery Bar is there for :p

16. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland
    1) No, - the screenful could scroll slowly like TV credits, then rolled forward or back as required. Sorry if you cannot think out of the box...

2) Funny, most intelligent folk would treat it as a challenge to discover why. So you believe the enevlope icon at Messages is causing problems to users? Oh, of course, it's in the User Manual.... I know, they could put the explanation on the typeface colour change there... but too radical a suggestion.

3) Suggest you find a CRT TV and stretch the vertical hold so that it over-scans, you'll be in heaven then....

4) Not on my machine, it was the first thing I turned off...

17. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    There is more than one way to achieve the same goal. I personally would hate the way you have just suggested.

We're talking about the average TV user. Intelligence doesn't come into it ;)

What I mean is that these things should be simply and intuitive. You shouldn't have to think about it.

Where did I ever say that? Most people have a computer of some description and will know what an icon is. Not sure what that has to do with the current debate though.

One less thing to explain if they go with something more obvious.

"Oh look, the programme titles go off the bottom of the screen. I guess I just need to scroll down to see them."

Or do you think that people aren't intelligent enough to realise that without having it explained to them?

Again... not seeing the relevence.

Really? How? As far as I know you cannot turn off the Discovery Bar.

18. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    Indeed. And that's what happens, for me. On My Shows, for example, the top item is both truncated and noticeably dimmer than the next item down, when I've scrolled to the last item.

The typeface does change colour.

But the top line of My Shows isn't at an edge of the screen.

The bottom lines are at an edge, but the last two visible are dimmed progressively, which I think indicates they are not just being clipped by the edge.

I don't like text to move while I'm trying to read it.

19. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    That was my point, but badly expressed :)

20. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    This thread would benefit from some relevant screenshots for the rest of us who don't have VMTivo! :)